Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really frustrated and I struggle with letting him know just how pissed off I am.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

So long story short me and my son want a dog, my husband does not. He's a dairy farmer and his opinion, dogs do not belong inside at all. He didn't tell me we couldn't get one and even would supply the money for it but he's being so dramatic about it, saying this dog will ruin his life, and where will the dog go when people come over, he's fine with kids getting the house dirty but not a dog blah blah the list goes on and on. He tries to talk to me like nothing is wrong that because he is ignoring the issue that I should just not be pissed any more, basically I am just not talking to him because I'm so angry he is being so childish and dramatic .

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I think you're being childish and dramatic by getting this upset over a dog.  I understand where your DH is coming from because I wouldn't want a dog in the house either.  That being said my DH is the one that didn't want a dog and I did.  I ended up getting the dog anyways.  6 years later, DH claims to still not like him, but he feeds him more than I do and he brings him into the entry way during the winter.....even on the nights that aren't too cold for him to be out. lol  He's really warmed up to him.  Instead of being angry find a compromise

MyNameIs-
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Dogs are a lot of work. Even more than you'd think. He's being realistic. He doesn't want the responsibility of a dog and unless your are willing to take on that responsibility, then do not get a dog!
Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM

what size dog?

sounds like you want to dismiss his opinions, and yours don't matter to him, either. So... agree to postpone the decision for a while. Dogs are wonderful, but they are a lot of work, too.

MagicTemptation
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM

It doesn't seem like you are being too respectful of his opinion on this either. You shouldn't take on a big committment (such as a pet) without coming to terms with each other.

It's like having a child, or buying something expensive (like a car) if you can't agree, you don't have a child or buy something expensive without both parties on board.

merryvoice
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 4:26 AM
Can you guys maybe foster one first, since your opinions differ so dramatically? It would be a good way to figure out what you both really want, because he may change his mind...and then you may change yours. Fostering doesn't do any harm for the dog, either, since you wouldn't have to adopt and possibly return it. Good luck, Mama!
committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I agree with others. Don't get a pet if one of you doesn't want one. They are not easy and although
I love dogs I hate when people who like dogs try to act as if everyone is obligated to like them and accept them.
starreyedcutie
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:26 AM
I have two dogs. Grew up with dogs my whole life. Sit down and talk about what he doesnt want and see if you can come to terms on a breed of dog. Dont get a dog or type of dog because it is pretty. Some shed alot. Some are prone to health problems. All breeds have different temperments...they can get expensive. They require alot of time to train ect. I love animals and i could never have a outside dog...ya just have to talk about it and both be on the same page before anything happens
RJC78
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I don't understand getting a dog and it not being allowed in the house.  What would be the point?  Dogs are meant to be part of the family, not a yard ornament.  I have three dogs in the house.  Yes, it is a job to keep the house cleaned up after them, especially all the dog fur.  But they are such a joy and we enjoy every moment at home with them.

avonleafan
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Quoting BonitaM:

I think you're being childish and dramatic by getting this upset over a dog.  I understand where your DH is coming from because I wouldn't want a dog in the house either.  That being said my DH is the one that didn't want a dog and I did.  I ended up getting the dog anyways.  6 years later, DH claims to still not like him, but he feeds him more than I do and he brings him into the entry way during the winter.....even on the nights that aren't too cold for him to be out. lol  He's really warmed up to him.  Instead of being angry find a compromise

I agree. Only in our case, DH wanted one and I didn't. We ended up re-homing him because DH wasn't home enough to train and I was busy with the kids/didn't know anything about house breaking dogs.
furbabymum
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Well he's got some points, what will happen to the dog if visitors come over? Is this dog going to be well trained or a holy terror? Do you know how to train a dog? How much hair is this dog going to have? Who is going to be caring for it? What are the plans here? I've got tons of dogs. It takes more than a desire for a dog and a house to be a good owner. Puppy years are hard. The dog will probably chew things up and ruin the carpet a bit. You need to have plans and knowledge in place before getting the dog, not after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)