Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

How would you divide bills when moving in together?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
  • 33 Replies

My SO and I have been discussing moving in together.

He currently rents a house, pays about the same as I pay monthly for my mortgage. Since I own (well actually the bank does) it makes better sense for him to move in with me plus it is just a couple miles from his work vs the 13 miles he currently travels from his house.

We also would like to eventually buy a house together with some land. That however is still at least a few years away if not more.

My initial thought is I would continue to pay my mortgage and he perhaps pay utilities or such. Thinking he would save what he pays for rent for when we do buy our house together. When I sell my current house we can use that $$$ in addition to what he has (hopefully) saved by not paying rent for a decent down payment.

Does this seem reasonable and fair? Is there perhaps something I should consider before putting this idea past him.

Thoughts, advice???

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it sounds like a great plan!
printerr
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a great idea.  Some other ideas to consider include splitting expenses 50/50 or by a percentage based on income, and then both of you also contributing to saving.  In the end, just choose what will work best for the both of you. 

committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Personally I wouldn't ever consider having an account with someone I'm not married to. JMO.
Brattzilla
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

When we moved in together 4yrs ago..   everything went 1/2.   I added rent/utilites/ food. I divided that by his 4 paychecks, and every week.. He paid me xxx amount of money, that went into our "Bill" checking account, adn I paid bills from that.

Now things are different, and I pay the rent, he pays all utiliites, and we split the cost of groceries.

We still have separate accounts, Mine and his.   We will never have a joint account and we never fight about money.  (He likes to spend &  I am a tight wad)

Marinemom03
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you got a good plan
Runner36
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you have a good plan.  The only other thing i would suggest is to write it out in a contract.  never hurts to make sure you have all your "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed!

deadlights86
by Emily on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Sounds very smart.

berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1/2
FutureCooper118
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a really great plan! Just make sure you're bothssticking with it as far as him saving what he would have paid on his rent and not see it as play money.
MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

if your goal is to buy a house together, then build that I to your financial planning now.  calculate all the household expenses, and how they will be paid.  since the mortgage is now in your name, pay that as part of your share and have him cover an equal amount of the utilities.  then decide on a savings goal toward the down payment on the new house.  Each of you should contribute to that in a joint account each month.  

this will not only move you closer to the house becoming reality, but it will give you a chance to see if you are financially compatible.  not just a "hopefully" situation, but a real plan that can be carried out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)