Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Did your family like your SO when they first met?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 246 Replies

I think my parents really liked my husband the first time they met him, and they seem to like him now. My siblings, too, liked him, except for my baby brother who was angry at Kevin for stealing his big sister away, lol.

Kevin liked my family then but there are some members of the family he's not too keen on nowadays. ;)

Did your family like your SO when they first met? Did he like them? What about now?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I can't remember what they thought of DH way back then. lol  I know over the years they've gone back and forth mostly disliking him and now they don't like him at all.  I guess they see the good and the bad in him and choose to overlook the good. :(

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM

That's really sad. How does he feel about them?

Quoting BonitaM:

I can't remember what they thought of DH way back then. lol  I know over the years they've gone back and forth mostly disliking him and now they don't like him at all.  I guess they see the good and the bad in him and choose to overlook the good. :(

StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Yep
I think they were sceptical because of the 7 years between us and because DS was living with me by then but they liked him as an individual
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM

He doesn't like them either.  I'm just glad it doesn't bother him too much.  He does feel bad that I'm stuck in the middle as does my family but neither side will budge.  Everyone knows that if I had to choose I'd always choose him so they tread carefully when speaking about him in front of DD and me.  He also knows that if he put me in the position to choose I'd walk away.  So they may not get along but because they love me they stay separated and keep the peace. lol

Quoting Cafe Steph:

That's really sad. How does he feel about them?

Quoting BonitaM:

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM

NO, my dh had long hair and smoked, with my dad being a preacher he didnt like him, but as time went by he learned my dh was a good guy and liked him. My dad passed away last year but im glad to know my dad changed his mind about my dh.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

My ils were skeptical of me - fil all but said I'd "trapped" DH into marriage. It took a little time, but he softened towards me when he realized I had no evil plan, just really loved his son.

Do they like him more now that they know him better?

Quoting StreetsAhead: Yep I think they were sceptical because of the 7 years between us and because DS was living with me by then but they liked him as an individual

tnt-manda
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Well, not really. They tolerated him. We were both young and had some growing up to do. Now my family loves him. His family is a different story, but their special. Lol. I probably get along with them better than him. Except his grandparents they are awesome, of course they practically raised him.
Runner36
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Nope...they kicked me out of the house before they ever met him...they didn't like black people much.  However, NOW every one loves him (more than me I think :( )

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

It really sucks when there's stuff like that going on with the family. I've taken my husband's side against my family many times through the 14+ years of our marriage, but overall, they still like and respect him... and my siblings fear him, lol. ;)

How long have you been married?

Quoting BonitaM:

He doesn't like them either.  I'm just glad it doesn't bother him too much.  He does feel bad that I'm stuck in the middle as does my family but neither side will budge.  Everyone knows that if I had to choose I'd always choose him so they tread carefully when speaking about him in front of DD and me.  He also knows that if he put me in the position to choose I'd walk away.  So they may not get along but because they love me they stay separated and keep the peace. lol

m.garcia21
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM
They frekin love him :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)