Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

throwing your own baby shower...

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM
  • 27 Replies
Trashy or no? I know a girl, she was asking me why I'm not having a shower , i told her i have no one to throw it and she was like "well i threw my own " and i told her that to me it's just something you don't do , i wasn't raised that way , i was taught that its tacky to throw your own self a party and expect people to bring you gifts for your child, now if someone wants to be nice and throw it for you , that s different. She seemed offended ...
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My GF threw her own. She is an only child, her mom has no $ and dad isnt in the picture. My GF and her husband do well for themselves so she decided to throw one for herself. That being said, they didnt have a wedding, they just eloped so she justified it that way. 

Personally, I would never, no matter what. Id rather give someone (who wants to do it but maybe can't afford to) $$ and have them plan it. Know what I mean? 

FutureCooper118
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Most people find it taboo to throw your own.. but like you said- if you don't have the person to throw it for you and you want one then go for it! Forget what people think.. can't change em. But atleast you'd be happy and have a shower that you wanted vs being upset later you missed out for the simple fact of not having someone to host.

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM
too me it just smacks of greed. Would not, ever
Firenygirl180
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM
I had 4 people offer to throw me a shower. None of them followed through so i planned my own. I didn't expect anything i just wanted to get my friends together before everyone left for the summer.

Throwing your own for a second or third or more baby i definitely think is tacky.
mamak3211
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM
I wouldn't do it for myself. Maybe a gender reveal party that I would somehow put no gifts on invite. However, I feel all moms deserve a shower to celebrate their baby if it's what they want so if someone threw their own and invited me I wouldn't be offended.
RitaTequila531
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM
I think its tacky.
LadyBast
by Brenda on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never throw my own party that is tacky as you said I would have someone ask me to do it and I would not ask someone to do it, friends should offer!

cali_angel_girl
by Amy :) on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I wouldn't throw my own shower.  I would do like a sprinkle or gender revel party that way baby is still getting celebrated in some way.

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't throw my own shower. But that being said I never let anyone throw a shower for me either. DH and I paid for our own things for our children. A few people bought gifts such as an outfit or bottles but never did I expect anyone to do things for me.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I was always taught throwing yourself a party is tacky. I feel it's say all I want is presents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)