Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you like your inlaws?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM
  • 95 Replies

Do you genuinely like your inlaws and have a good relationship with them, or do you dislike them intensely? if you don't like them, how does it affect your relationship with your husband/SO?

I have very uninvolved inlaws. They are *generally* harmless, very simple people. I used to love his mom when I was younger but after we got married she seemed to struggle with me. She is very emotionally manipulative and she taught her 3 kids to cry and whine to get there own way (thankfully my husband has stopped this heinous behaviour) and she knows that I don't like that sort of emotional carry-on. My SIL hates me and has done so since I was first introduced to her. She has never had a partner and still lives at home and she is very jealous of my husband. MIL always takes SIL's side over everyone and I believe this is why MIL is iffy with me.

We actually only see MIL and FIL every 3-4 months and the SIL isn't welcome at our home (hubs hates her) so they are not really involved in our lives and our nearly 3 year old daughter doesn't even know who they are!

So all in all how are your inlaw relations?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I love mine, they are very welcoming and treat me just the same as the treat their children. I fit in well which makes it easier
booaura
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:27 AM
Decent. My mother in law doesn't really like me, but she tolerates me. My father in law is great guy, he gets along with me well. My husband had to have several talks with his mother to get her away from nasty and rude to tolerating me. It doesn't really effect our relationship.
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:01 AM

MIL hated me the first 9 years DH and I were together and tried everything to break us up.  We get along fine now but because of the way she treated me the first 9 years I will never have the relationship I had hoped for with her.  Her husband (DH's second step-dad) rubs me the wrong way.  I'm not sure exactly what it is about him but I just don't feel a connection at all.  We are all civil with each other and I'm closer to MIL ironically (because she's the one that tried to keep me from her only child). 

I would describe our relationship as good.  We all get along now although, I do prefer them living on the other side of the country. lol   DH has always been on my side since Day 1 so if I disagree or argue with MIL he knows there's a good reason.  I'm very greatful he always has my back.  It definitely feels like family with them now. :)

LuvMyBoys09
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I love my soon to be MIL and FIL.
They have treated my boys and I like family from the moment we met them.
committed4ever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Love them! If it wasn`t for his sister DH and I probably would never have gotten together. In fact both our families, our sibllings, parents and nieces and nephews get together all the time. My nieces and nephews on my side and my husband side call themselves cousins too (even though they know they are not really cousins).
UCFknight
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I've had my rocky patches with my MIL. But for the most part we genuinely like each other. My FIL and step FIL are awesome. We also live thousands of miles away as my husband is military so we don't deal with them often and it's only a few days every year.

RitaTequila531
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Tolerant
I'm TOLERANT of them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smac28
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I love mine. We get along great. 

VinVanMom
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

My in laws are divorced. My mil is crazy. Batshit crazy lol. My fil nd step mil re super selfish weirdos as well. We see them all on occasion but they aren't allowed alone with the kids. Both the females are addicted to prescription pills. The fil worked for the VA in safety believe it or not. As his wife slurs. All nurses btw. 

AdoptingMommy
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Love mine! I talk to my mil 3 times a day. We do lots of things together. But in the beginning we all hated each other. 8 yrs later we couldn't be closer!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN