Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

How long from engagement to wedding?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM
  • 86 Replies
My BF & I are not officially engaged yet. He wants to date for a year before actually asking but he knows I am the one (I feel the same). We've been trying to figure out WHEN to get married once he does propose. I want to take time to plan our wedding- even though it will be small.

My first marriage I did not have time to plan. My ex & I announced we were expecting at the end of February (1999) & we were married a month later (my parents request since it was my 2nd child). My mom handled all the details. I feel all I did was tell her what colors & she took over the rest. Now that I look back on it I regret not having much of a say in things.

Now that my BF & I have been talking about getting married, I feel we need time to plan what we want. I was thinking another year after we officially get engaged. He was thinking more quickly than that. (I know- we need to talk about that) There are also details that need time to work out. His kids live 6 hours away in another state. His parents & siblings (& families) all need to plan time off too (they live out of state as well- just like one of my brothers). There's also dress & tux fittings we need to consider for our kids. Not to mention arrangements for the kids when we go on our honeymoon.

So.... my question is: How long did you have to plan your wedding from engagement to day of??
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Engaged April 8 th married July 10 same year . No I wasn't pregnant just crazy in love !
LuvMyBoys09
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM
SO proposed to me this past Christmas Eve and we're waiting until about September 2015 to get married.
He owns a business which he just paid off last summer, so profits this summer are paying off credit cards, putting money in savings and such and then next summer, we'll be able to pay for wedding stuff and the all important honeymoon.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Engaged December 25, 2003.. Married february 9, 2004..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM

We got engaged at the beginning of September 1993. Got married at the end of July 1994. We would have gotten married a little earlier but had some religious restrictions, and my mom absolutely refused to let us get married on father's day that year. She would have had to miss a music festival.

CampClan
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Even though we're not having a huge wedding (100-150 people) I think it's wise to save our income tax returns in 2015 & 2016 to be able to pay for the wedding & honeymoon as well as pay off debt we both have.

Quoting LuvMyBoys09: SO proposed to me this past Christmas Eve and we're waiting until about September 2015 to get married.
He owns a business which he just paid off last summer, so profits this summer are paying off credit cards, putting money in savings and such and then next summer, we'll be able to pay for wedding stuff and the all important honeymoon.

CampClan
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM
That's another thing. If we get married in June (no matter what year) we have to consider Father's Day. He doesn't get his kids on Father's Day this year because he is taking them on vacation for a week the following week. If we get married in June then Father's Day is spent either without the kids or taking them back to their mom.

Quoting balagan_imma:

We got engaged at the beginning of September 1993. Got married at the end of July 1994. We would have gotten married a little earlier but had some religious restrictions, and my mom absolutely refused to let us get married on father's day that year. She would have had to miss a music festival.

MrsApple
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Well...we married 5 months after our first date so it wasn't long,lol.We had our wedding less than 5 months after we were married so we planned the wedding in about 3 months.We kept it sweet and simple though.We were mostly worried about giving family enough notice since a lot of them was coming in from out of state and country.

The_Doodle
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

DH and I were engaged for 3 years. We did not plan the whole time, but took the time to find a place that we wanted and was in our budget. I am glad we waited as long as we did...there was no stressing and the whole experience was very enjoyable.

Maverick1957
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Due to many factors, I had basically a little over a month to plan our wedding due to our work schedules, my lease running out on my place, moving, etc.  Thanks to my MOM FRIENDS theyhelped  pulled off a WONDERFUL wedding for us.  We just wanted a small church wedding, they wouldn't HEAR of it.   

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:01 AM

6 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)