Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

6 Ways Men Tell Their Wives They Love Them Without Actually Saying the Words - Does your husband do things like this?

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM
  • 20 Replies
2 moms liked this

6 Ways Men Tell Their Wives They Love Them Without Actually Saying the Words

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

I love youSome men are very effusive with their language. They write poetry and sing songs and profess their love with words all the time. Those men, it seems, are few and far between. That's not to say that men aren't loving. On the contrary. They are. And how. But for many men, expressing love isn't something that is done with words.

I know in my own life, my husband says I love you unprompted pretty rarely. Sure, there is a lot of "I love you, too" and he always says it before he gets onto a plane for a business trip or sometimes in the heat of passion. But as a person who says I love you about 25 times an hour to my children, husband, and extended family, it's a little odd. And yet it doesn't bother me that much.

Why?

Because he tells me he loves me in about a million different ways every single day. I asked around and got some various responses from people on how their own spouses "say" that they love them without a word. See below:

1.) Small surprises: One friend's husband will come home from work early without calling her ahead of time (she works from home) and text "surprise" before showing up at the back door. An afternoon alone, even while working, is always a welcome surprise.

2.) Thoughtful gifts: I am not one who goes for big diamonds or watches or really "gifts" at all. But when my husband was at a Brooklyn flea market one day and picked up a necklace that "made him think of me," or when he brings home a book he thinks I would like, or when he bought me a massage because my back hurt, those are the kinds of things that tell me he loves me.

3.) Calling to check in: My husband is a pretty focused worker. When he is at the office, he can really go all day without thinking about much of anything but work. The fact that he takes time out of each day just to check in with me and see how things are always tells me he loves me and is thinking of me.

4.) Taking the kids: Yes, "family time" is amazing, but sometimes mama just needs a rest day. A lot of friends said the most loving thing their husband does is leave them alone for a few hours with only their tea and a book. Bliss. Love.

5.) With affection: My spouse isn't a "word" kind of guy, but he is an action one. He'll reach for my hand while we are walking down the street or kiss me good-bye or hello when he leaves or returns from work. He wants to cuddle and kiss and hugs me all the time. These acts of affection always tell me he wants me close.

6.) Doing things around the house: Oh, I know it's a cliche and we all should be pitching in anyway just to keep our house running. But when my husband goes outside to salt the stairs because he is worried I will slip walking out of them, or when he changes light bulbs before I get home because he knows my pet peeve is a light being out, I know he is thinking of me first.

What things does your husband do that say he loves you?

by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raschwittay
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM
All of them. The surprise and thoughtful gifts are rare but has been done.
jackierc80
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM
My hubby does all of them! :)
mrs.hartman12
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Im lucky, my husband says I love you a lot and does the non verbal stuf too.
jcm28
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Yes
lizlaughlove
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Only number 5, except he takes it to groping. If I get any attention from him, it includes groping, even in public or when I want to be left alone.

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

DH does all of them. :) 

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I actually dont know - I guess he does

I disagree with 4 though - he does that because he is thd dad and he loves the kids, it has nothing to do with me

artistmom889
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM

mine does all of those except 3.

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM

We have been very happily married for over 22 years. He doesn't have to buy me things (#2), take time to check in with me (#3), or do things around the house (#6), that I usually take care of. He works daily from 8am-7pm. I wouldn't want him to interrupt his day for anything.

Since he is self employed, I know he will be popping in from time to time throughout the day, so I am never surprised by that or any other little things like that (#1). Although our boys are now grown, I never felt the need for him to "take the kids", we love our family time together (#4), and as far as #5, he tells me he loves me and we cuddle together as we fall asleep every night.

svolkov
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM
All but gifts. Hes not good at gifts lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN