Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

OT - any moms here on hormone thereapy of any kind or have thyroid issues?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM
  • 15 Replies

So long story short, I had severe preeclampsia in my last pregnancy in 2012, so I've seen lots of doctors since then for various things to check for underlying disorders, etc, etc.

Well during all this my general practitioner realized I had been steadily putting on weight for a while now and it's not stopping.  No extreme change in my diet to make me gain and I've tried everything to loose it and I just can't do it.... so he checked my T4 levels, which came back normal.  However he did not check my T3 or TSH.

On top of this, I've had another weird symtom... for about a year now I have had NO sex drive.  Nothing.  I'm 22 and otherwise healthy and I don't know why I do not have a sex drive!  I am wondering if estrogen or something could help this?

I have quit taking my BC and anxiety medication to rule both of these out as factors and I still have not gotten better in either department.

My question is... has anyone else gone through this?  Should I see my OB/GYN in regards to the no sex drive/estrogen medication?  Or should I go to my GP to talk about that problem and get my thyroid rechecked?  Could they be related?  What would you do?

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on May. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on May. 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I have Grave's Disease, it's a form of hyper thyroid. I'd go to your GP and tell him/her what is going on. Mine is under control but I still suffer from some of the side effects like the weight thing and some of the others. 

LadyBast
by Brenda on May. 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I would go see your OB I have the same problem and mine could be meds but I will not stop them, that would be bad for me and I have to take them... Good luck but if the OB has no idea see your primary and get some blood work done also!

michelle623
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:52 AM

I was diagnosed with parathyroidism and just had surgery last week to remove an adenoma in one of my parathyroid glands that was causing me a lot of health problems.

jonsgirl99
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Also I would ask about PCOS

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have any information for you, but I wanted to give your post a BUMP! to make sure other moms get a chance to see this.

Good luck!

Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM

How long ago did you quit taking your BC?   You could talk to your GP and see about getting all your hormone levels checked.  I've read it can be tricky though because one person's normal may be another person's too high or too low.   There are also natural ways of trying to regulate hormones sometimes.

MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I got my Nexplanon taken out back in October/November and haven't used any kind of hormonal BC since.

I have a doctors appointment today so I guess we will see what she says...then again she will probably make me feel like an idiot, because that entire doctors office sucks.  I really need to find a new doctor but I guess this will do for now!

I just don't feel like those symptoms are normal for an otherwise healthy 22 year old.  It's been going on over a year and I'm fed up with it!

Quoting Krysden:

How long ago did you quit taking your BC?   You could talk to your GP and see about getting all your hormone levels checked.  I've read it can be tricky though because one person's normal may be another person's too high or too low.   There are also natural ways of trying to regulate hormones sometimes.

wedding countdown

4HMomto3
by on May. 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM

If its hormone related I would see an Endocrinologist. Unless either of your doctors have experience with dealing with the hormone issues. 

I have PCOS , which leaves me with weight gain, no sex drive, high testoterone, thinning hair, extra facial hair, as well as other things like insulin resistance and acne.  I actually go back today to get new meds and find out the results of my recent blood work. 

MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I have been looking up PCOS yesterday as well... it got me curious.  Not trying to diagnose myself or anything, just trying to help figure all this out.  I feel like I'm crazy but I shouldn't be having these problems at 22.

My doctors actually sucks, but I can't get anywhere else to take me so hopefully they will just run some tests and give me an answer for the meantime :(

Quoting 4HMomto3:

If its hormone related I would see an Endocrinologist. Unless either of your doctors have experience with dealing with the hormone issues. 

I have PCOS , which leaves me with weight gain, no sex drive, high testoterone, thinning hair, extra facial hair, as well as other things like insulin resistance and acne.  I actually go back today to get new meds and find out the results of my recent blood work. 

wedding countdown

4HMomto3
by on May. 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM

It took me 3 doctors and about 4 years to get a diagnosis. I've actually had PCOS signs since I was a teenager but didnt start looking into it until 2007.  

Quoting MMerrill:

I have been looking up PCOS yesterday as well... it got me curious.  Not trying to diagnose myself or anything, just trying to help figure all this out.  I feel like I'm crazy but I shouldn't be having these problems at 22.

My doctors actually sucks, but I can't get anywhere else to take me so hopefully they will just run some tests and give me an answer for the meantime :(

Quoting 4HMomto3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)