Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM
  • 18 Replies

I recently left my fiance/boyfriend. I posted something about it earlier and received some great advice that helped me realize a lot and thank you to those who posted. So now I am in the dilema of fear. I have my three little ones to care for and look after. I asked him if he would consider moving out and leaving me the trailer where we live so that I could keep my kids were their entire life is (school, friends, family). He said I was welcome to stay how ever long I needed but that he had no where to go and he was not leaving. He has so many frined who are single who I know would not mind but I truly think this trailer which is old means too much for him to let go. it is under his name and he did pay it off alone while I took care of house hold nececitities and bills. plus the kids needs as well, food, clothes, shoes, school supplies anything, His sole responsability in the home was rent. He did not help me financialy. I left and it hurt I mean sometimes you love someone even though they treat you badly and its hard to walk away. I thought of my kids and how unhappy we just were. I thought that at least for his daughter he would have some compasion but he doesn't.  I just would like to know if anyone has been through something like this or knows a little bit. Can I do anything to keep the home even though its under his name? I am currently looking around but with three kids and no help is hard. And, expensive. Thanks  

by on May. 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM

 I have been where you are now. I was in a 8 year relationship with my daughters bio dad. It was a bad relationship that I should have left way before I did, but I had my two kids and no where to go. So we would break up but continue to live together, then a few months later get back together because I felt helpless. I left him the apartment that we were in only because I wanted to start a new life and not be held back by the old. Try calling and getting help for state assistance. Explain to them that you are trying to find a new place for you and your children. They should be able to help you. Keep looking there has to be something out there. I wish you the best luck momma!!

by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Get assistance
If one or moee children are bis, sue for support. I think you have no legal claim to the residence. What did you do before him?
by on May. 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM

You should have discussed this with a lawyer before you left.  You probably can't have any recourse now but before you left you very well could have insisted he leave so the children would have a secure place to live.

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

by on May. 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I don't think you have any legal rights to HIS home, but if the kids are his, you can file for child support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Melissa on May. 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM

You need to contact social services and get everything you qualify for: housing, child care for while you work, food stamps,etc. 

You then need to set up for child support from the father/fathers.

If the house is in his name, you have no legal standing to get it. 

by on May. 16, 2014 at 6:50 PM

What was the name of your earlier post?

by on May. 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM
I haven't left It's just uncomfortable seeing him. He sometimes drinks and just gives me dirty looks. I'm not scared for my safety or my kids though. I will go to see about assistance and with child support he wants to come to an agreement instead just us. I'm just scared because the way he is he might not keep his agreement. Hard but I not impossible. Thanks everyone
by on May. 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM
My last poSt is under confused
by on May. 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I feel your pain momma...but sometimes you just have to say "My kids and I deserve BETTER"

You will find a way...I promise you that....

by Marianne on May. 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

 Because the home is in his name and you two never married, I don't think you can get any legal claim to it no matter how hard you fight. Painful truth, I know, but it's true. However, if any of your three kids are his, you are definitely entitled to child support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)