Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Is monogamy "natural?"

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM
  • 134 Replies

Poll

Question: Is monogamy natural?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 453

View Results

Do you think it's natural for people to be monogamous? Why or why not?

by on May. 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Yes I do.
What about you?
white_mage
by on May. 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM
11 moms liked this

I don't think it's natural, that's why people cheat on each other. I believe it's wrong to cheat on someone, so we have to fight against our own nature to do what's right.

Quoting Hottmomma607: Yes I do. What about you?

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't think monogamy is natural. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM
6 moms liked this
I think if people can be honest with each other and things would be better. And find the right person that will work with what they believe.
Monogamy isn't for everyone. Neither is polygamy but it works for some. And it makes me happy people find what works for them.

Quoting white_mage:

I don't think it's natural, that's why people cheat on each other. I believe it's wrong to cheat on someone, so we have to fight against our own nature to do what's right.

Quoting Hottmomma607: Yes I do.
What about you?

MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM
7 moms liked this

I said yes. But what I actually believe is that what is "natural" for us is to feel loved. Some couples are successful at making each other feel loved their whole lives and never feel the need to cheat. Some couples find other things to love - job, money, etc. - and eventually the other spouse feels unloved and looks for it elsewhere.

My DH and I are very happy and spend each day proving to each other with words and actions how much we value, respect, appreciate, and love each other. I have never felt the need to find love in someone else, nor has he. And as long as we can continue this for the next 60+ years, we're good!

rockinmomto2
by on May. 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM
5 moms liked this

No, monogomy isn't natural. That's why its so difficult for people to remain happy in long term relationships. 

Iconoclast
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this
People don't cheat because monogamy is unnatural people cheat because people have needs of ego. People naturally gravitate to have singular personal relationships boyfriend, girlfriends, befriends.

Quoting white_mage:

Quoting Hottmomma607: Yes I do.
What about you?

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 5:25 PM
6 moms liked this

I think so. I know myself when I am in a serious relationship, I have absolutely no desire or want to be to with somebody else. just the thought of it makes me physically sick. but.......everybody is different. some people just aren't happy being with one person. some people are. just depends on the person.

beeky
by Alexandra on May. 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM
3 moms liked this

No it isn't natural but our higher functioning intellect can override that instinct.

It probably started when we evolved from living in caves as tribal units to communities with single dwellings. 

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it's natural necessarily, but it is NORMAL in most cultural senses. But not all!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)