Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Did you save & freeze your wedding cake?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM
  • 55 Replies

For many people, saving the top tier of the wedding cake and freezing it to eat on their 1st anniversary is an important tradition, but it's also something that needs to be planned out or else you may wind up violently ill on your anniversary, lol. I didn't have a wedding to have a cake to save, but my bestie saved her topper and it made her and her husband SO sick on their anniversary! Turns out she'd forgotten to tell the baker her plans for the cake and the cake she had wasn't suitable for freezing long-term. :/

Did you save & freeze your wedding cake? Did you eat it on your anniversary as planned, or did you forget about it? If you ate it, was it okay or did you get sick?

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM

When I got married like an idiot to the  wrong person for the wrong reasons when I was 18.. we saved the top tier of the wedding cake and froze it. (We didn't tell baker we were going to do so) ...  on our 1 yr anniversary we thawed it out and took one bite each but it tasted stale and not yummy so we didn't eat anymore and laughed because it was funny... we didn't get sick though either. 

When Todd and I got married in our 30s... long story short... the two bottom layers of the wedding cake collapsed and fell into a million pieces late at night, night before wedding the next day.. my teen daughters were able to salvage the tiny top tier so we had SOMETHING to at least cut for pictures and to do the  victorian fortune charms pull with everyone.. but we didn't even try to freeze or keep it.. plus if I had tried for sure one of our teens (probaby oldest son) would have snuck it one night while we were sleeping when they got a craving and ate  it themself and everyone would deny knowing anything about it the next day like they always did when food turned up missing hahaha

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Pixi-goddess
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM
I like you did not have a wedding cake to save we went to the JP to get married ... But I did not know you had to inform the baker about the Savin the cake thing ... That will come in handy when my kids grown up and get married

Quoting bamababe1975:

For many people, saving the top tier of the wedding cake and freezing it to eat on their 1st anniversary is an important tradition, but it's also something that needs to be planned out or else you may wind up violently ill on your anniversary, lol. I didn't have a wedding to have a cake to save, but my bestie saved her topper and it made her and her husband SO sick on their anniversary! Turns out she'd forgotten to tell the baker her plans for the cake and the cake she had wasn't suitable for freezing long-term. :/

Did you save & freeze your wedding cake? Did you eat it on your anniversary as planned, or did you forget about it? If you ate it, was it okay or did you get sick?

LuvMyBoys09
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM
With my now ex husband, we didn't save the top tier because the baker who made our cake, made an exact replica of our top tier, for our anniversary, free of charge.
She strongly advised against saving the top tier, saying they usually taste horrible after being frozen for a year.
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Hell no I didn't save it haha. That cake was freakin' delicious. We took the top teir home and ate off of it the week after our wedding.

bamababe1975
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I just think it's an odd tradition to save the cake to eat a year later... who wants to eat a year-old piece of cake? LOL... that's funny about the other cake collapsing and good you did eat it. What's the "Victorian fortune charms" thing, though?

Quoting earthangel1967:

When I got married like an idiot to the  wrong person for the wrong reasons when I was 18.. we saved the top tier of the wedding cake and froze it. (We didn't tell baker we were going to do so) ...  on our 1 yr anniversary we thawed it out and took one bite each but it tasted stale and not yummy so we didn't eat anymore and laughed because it was funny... we didn't get sick though either. 

When Todd and I got married in our 30s... long story short... the two bottom layers of the wedding cake collapsed and fell into a million pieces late at night, night before wedding the next day.. my teen daughters were able to salvage the tiny top tier so we had SOMETHING to at least cut for pictures and to do the  victorian fortune charms pull with everyone.. but we didn't even try to freeze or keep it.. plus if I had tried for sure one of our teens (probaby oldest son) would have snuck it one night while we were sleeping when they got a craving and ate  it themself and everyone would deny knowing anything about it the next day like they always did when food turned up missing hahaha

bamababe1975
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Yeah, there are certain kinds of cakes that freeze well and others that do not. White cakes or cakes that are filled with whipped cream, for example, do NOT freeze well.

Quoting Pixi-goddess: I like you did not have a wedding cake to save we went to the JP to get married ... But I did not know you had to inform the baker about the Savin the cake thing ... That will come in handy when my kids grown up and get married
Quoting bamababe1975:

bamababe1975
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Yeah, making a copycat cake fresh for your anniversary sounds like a MUCH better idea to me, lol. What kind of cake did you have?

Quoting LuvMyBoys09: With my now ex husband, we didn't save the top tier because the baker who made our cake, made an exact replica of our top tier, for our anniversary, free of charge. She strongly advised against saving the top tier, saying they usually taste horrible after being frozen for a year.

bamababe1975
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM

LOL! What kind of cake did you have? I wanted red velvet for mine, but we wound up just going to the courthouse. I got red velvet cupcakes for my birthday that year, though, lol.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Hell no I didn't save it haha. That cake was freakin' delicious. We took the top teir home and ate off of it the week after our wedding.

fullxbusymom
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Yes and I have NEVER heard of a cake not being able to be frozen long term.  We froze ours and ate it on our 1st anniversary.

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Chocolate cake with a layer of raspberry jam between the layers, covered in buttercream and fondant.

Quoting bamababe1975:

LOL! What kind of cake did you have? I wanted red velvet for mine, but we wound up just going to the courthouse. I got red velvet cupcakes for my birthday that year, though, lol.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN