Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you respect each other's need for space/alone time?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 43 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you give each other space when needed?

Options:

Sure, I need my time alone, too!

No, why doesn't he/she want to be with me?

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 49

View Results

My husband and I have been married so long that it's not even a question that when one of us needs time to ourselves, it's granted without quarrel or guilt. We just know and understand that we each need room to be individuals as well as part of a couple and family. My friend is on her 3rd marriage, however, and when I dropped off her son after he'd been over here practicing band stuff with my daughter, I heard her husband yelling that sometimes he "just needs room to effing breathe and BE." She told him he didn't need to be so selfish and that he should want to spend time with her, always, whenever he's not sleeping or working. O.o

What do you think? Do you respect each other's need to have some space and time alone? Or do you feel like, as part of a couple, you should truly desire to spend every possible moment together?

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM
It just comes naturally. We have our time, alone time, family time. We have it in the bag!! LOL
Not perfect but we do what works us. We don't like to spend wasted time arguing over useless things like how much time we are going to spend together. ;-) Such a waste!
BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Yes, DH and I are both loners so we need a lot of time to ourselves and we're both very good about it.  The only time I don't give him space is when we're fighting because I need him closer to me when I'm upset and the situation resolved before I'm okay again.

RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM

/yes we respect it when the other wants it. However, we really don't spend a lot of time alone. We both would rather spend our free time together or as a family.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

yes we both get our alone times. when he comes home from work, he will go in an take a bath and just sit in there and relax for a good hour. he works really long days and is outside in sun all day. he comes home exhausted and stressed and just wants to be left alone. thats fine with me. I totally understand that and give him that time. gives me more time to work on dinner and to clean or whatever. sometimes both the kids will be sleeping or doing their own thing as well. so it gives me some alone quiet time too. 

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

you need alone time to decompress. Guys in particular do. Heck, I sure as shootin' like MY alone time.

your friend sounds needy and unhealthy. poor guy.

cali_angel_girl
by Amy :) on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Yes we both respect it if one of us just wants some alone time.

belle0623
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Dh & I have been married 13 years today & even before we were married, we both respected each others space and time apart.  It's healthy & makes the relationship stronger, in my opinion  :)

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Yes, we both value our own alone time so therefore we respect each other's need for alone time.

I agree with someone else, your friend sounds needy and clingy in an unhealthy way.  She should really examine for herself why she feels such a need to be with him every single moment they can.

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Yep, we both do. It comes naturally to us, too. It is so healthy to do things for and by yourself sometimes. It's a nice way to kind of hit a reset button in yourself. Happy individuals = happy couple!
LadyBast
by Brenda on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Of course it is a natural habit to do this to anyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)