Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

What "type" of Man do you have?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: What type is your man?

Options:

Sporty manly

Mr. Fix It

Metro/In touch with feminine side

Gamer

A little of everything

A small mixture of a few

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 153

View Results

My many choices of men have always ended up being the kind that plays video games and likes nerdy stuff. I do not do this on purpose, just so happens to be the ones I am most attrackted to. I married a Gamer 5 years ago and divorced shortly after marriage (was with him 7 years prior) because I realized marriage was not going to help him grow up. Now I am engaged to another Gamer, I am a bit frustrated cause I just realized I put myself back in the same situation. My fiance now is at least a father to my (and his) kids, he pays more attention to me than my last husband, but when priorites are set on the table, they are the same as my ex husbands. He will chose his gaming over his kids and over any time with me. I can get his attention for a week or so at a time, with minimal gaming, but that seems to put him into a withdrawl like state and then he is ignoring us for days at a time. I would not mind gaming if the kids and I were put first. He works all day and then comes home and jumps on the computer. It is sad to me because I have so much fun with him and the kids do too when WE get him to spend time with us. It would be nice to be put first sometimes.

I have noticed from friends I have and my experieance with men, that more manly type men seem to be better fathers and providers. The ones that are more feminine (enjoy cooking, shopping and family time) seem to be better at being "friends forever" type of husband. The gamers seem to be more childish and have emotional issues and blocks their loved one out. The T.V junky tends to be more abusive and annoyed with family all together and deems themselves king of the house and superior. I cant think of any more types but thats what I have seen in my lifetime and with my friends who have gotten married over the years. ALSO Now their are those men who are a little of everything, they tend to be good providers and fathers but lack in romance but could build a house if you gave them the right tools/materail

I hate the thought of competing with a game for the rest of my life, and its unfair to the kids, but I have a connection with him that is indescribable once I can get him to focus on me and he is an amazing daddy when he decides to pay attention and do family things. It sucks how such an awesome person can be trapped inside this empty shell day after day. Please tell me about your man?!

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cymbeline
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM

My husband is nerdy and is in touch with his feminine side. He's not metro, and would not wear skinny jeans.

He had over 6000 comic books when I met him. I say had, because a recent basement flood destroyed quite a few :/ We met playing World of Warcraft, and he loves Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who, just like me.

He's also a responsible family man, who works hard for all of us. He will help out with anything, and is kind to all.

I found myself a true sweetheart. He's a true nerd from a time when nerds weren't celebrated (he's 16 years my senior at almost 47).

I would hate competing with a game as well :/ While my husband enjoys playing WoW, he usually only plays for 2-3 hours a week. He was never one to raid or get overly involved.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

StreetsAhead
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

DH is a mix of sporty, clever geek and into fixing things.

Not really a gamer though he does occassionly play with DS

amijustlookin
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM

My ex husband was a WoW Raider. He played day in and day out. I would come up behind him and hug him and he would get upset cause he was fighting a boss. It was annoying after a few years. He also smoked pot, loved comics (which I do too), and loved nerdy shows (which seemed to be the only time we did things together). He also had partier friends so lots of hard parties, he was a softy though too but lacked emotion most the time. The fact your husband only spends 2-3 hrs a week is awesome! So lucky you are lol

My fiance now plays SMITE and shooting games. Often with SMITE he will say things like (they are relying on me I cant just quit!) Which upsets me because WE rely on him. He doesnt seem to get it when I explain it either. We both are nerdy (which is why I probably attrack this type) and we love our Doctor Who and Game of Thrones and Star Wars. I use to game until my free online game got canceled :( R.I.P DOMO)

Now I am a mom and dont have time to play. I barely have time to come on Cafe Mom which is good and sad at the same time. Honestly I think a part of me is jealous that somehow, everyday he manages to play game after game and I am left doing all the stuff around him. I often fanasies about getting an hour to play a game by myself throughout the day lol. In the end I am too tired by the time everything is finished.

Quoting Cymbeline:

My husband is nerdy and is in touch with his feminine side. He's not metro, and would not wear skinny jeans.

He had over 6000 comic books when I met him. I say had, because a recent basement flood destroyed quite a few :/ We met playing World of Warcraft, and he loves Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who, just like me.

He's also a responsible family man, who works hard for all of us. He will help out with anything, and is kind to all.

I found myself a true sweetheart. He's a true nerd from a time when nerds weren't celebrated (he's 16 years my senior at almost 47).

I would hate competing with a game as well :/ While my husband enjoys playing WoW, he usually only plays for 2-3 hours a week. He was never one to raid or get overly involved.

ladymaleficent
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
None of those fit mine. He is a big guy over 6 ft and over 350 lbs he is a chef he works hard (80 hrs a wk) he is rarely home but that's because he works so much
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

DH is my big geek..lol...he is a Network Security guy so technology is his life...we have all types of electronics/game systems/games, but he only plays after we go to bed. He's also a runner so he is an athlete as well. He is an amazing husband and father. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband loves to golf. He enjoys being at the beach.He loves to watch sports on tv. He doesn't enjoy going if its football in a big stadium.  He will try to repair almost  anything in our home before calling in the pros. He is very conscious of his appearance and likes to look good and well groomed. He loves being a dad. He misses the day to day with our children(they are grown) He does laundry, dishes and whatever else he can on his days off to lessen the load on me. He doesn't like to cook and doesn't want to know how. he's a great match for me.

AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this

My husband is a white collar professional. He is definitely "manly" and dominant, enjoys watching sports on television, but doesn't care for "outdoorsy" things (which is good, because I don't either, lol) like camping. He does love cooking, but that comes from his Italian roots (he's first generation American) and is amazing at it. He enjoys his video games (PS3 or X-Box), but only one series (COD) and doesn't play a ton, so I definitely do not classify him as a "gamer" :)

He is, at heart, a geek; ridiculously high IQ, background in biology, physics, and computer science/engineering. He loves to learn... but he is definitely NOT a "metro man".

He is a wonderful husband and father.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

BonitaM
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

DH is very much a manly man and spends days and days and days fixing either his boat or one of the cars or anything else he can get his hands on. lol  He loves taking things apart and putting them back together.  He games a little but DD and I are bigger gamers than him...or we just take it away from him. lol  He's sporty and definitely has the physique for it.  He's very balanced and always makes time for DD and me but he has his hobbies too....like fishing, quadding, snowmobiling and hangs with the guys quite often.  He's also a workaholic so I do have to remind him from time to time to take a day off and just chill out and have fun.  He claims he's always tired but he just can't ever seem to sit still.  He always has a project going and something that needs to be done.  I love that about him but I worry that he doesn't take enough time to take care of himself.

punky3175
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
He likes camping, hiking, backpacking, cycling, cooks, cleans, fixes things around the house, has a VW bug he's fixing up, pays attention to me and kids. He likes Star Trek but he doesn't game. My first husband was/is an insecure gamer. That lasted 6 years. The day our divorce was final was a great day.
deadlights86
by Emily on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh is a nerd gamer TV junkie Mr fix it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)