Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you ever need your SO's permission for anything?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 129 Replies

I saw in another group where a mom was asking if you need permission from your SO to cut your hair short, and I've read many posts about women needing permission before they buy things or even take their kid to the doctor, and it's just crazy to me. Sure, I believe in conferring with your SO about things so they're aware, but to ask permission? I think you should be equal partners.

Do you ever need your SO's permission to do anything?

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Nope but we discuss big purchases
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

"Permission", no, I do however ask him for his input, and take his opinion into consideration. He asks me as well.

oliveoil423
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM
No we do not ask for permission to do anything. I will ask him if its okay to go with my mom to a bridal shower to watch our daughter just in case i need to get a baby sitter. But hes all for anything i do and i dont care what he does.
tapies2324
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Nope. I ask his opinion and take it into consideration before I do something but ultimately it is my decision. I'm a free spirit and he knows he can't stop me anyway lol.
JC2223
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Permission as in he makes the ultimate decision for me...heck no! We discuss things, confirm things with each other, give each other input and opinion, coordinate things with each other and communicate though.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Right, having a discussion about something that's important like that is a good thing. Has he ever gotten angry with you for doing something without asking him first?

Quoting MixedCooke: Nope but we discuss big purchases

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Yeah, that's just part of being together, as far as I'm concerned, and is respectful to the other person in your relationship, but asking permission is just... IDK, lol. Have either of you done something without consulting the other and caused problems?

Quoting RheaF:

"Permission", no, I do however ask him for his input, and take his opinion into consideration. He asks me as well.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I think of that more as consulting with him and I think it's good to ask about something like that in case he's got plans or anything. Have you ever done anything that he got angry about you for because you didn't ask or mention it to him beforehand?

Quoting oliveoil423: No we do not ask for permission to do anything. I will ask him if its okay to go with my mom to a bridal shower to watch our daughter just in case i need to get a baby sitter. But hes all for anything i do and i dont care what he does.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, asking for an opinion is totally different and I think a good thing, and yeah, I think my hubby knows he wouldn't be able to stop me if I did ask permission and he said "no." LOL

Quoting tapies2324: Nope. I ask his opinion and take it into consideration before I do something but ultimately it is my decision. I'm a free spirit and he knows he can't stop me anyway lol.

lovemercygrace
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Permission? No I am not a child, but I will respect his wishes, and he respects mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)