Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Birth control methods

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM
  • 30 Replies
I'm currently on the birth control implanon, and it expired a few days ago (on the 17th). I'm just wondering what kind you guys are on/were on and the pros and cons? We have talked about adding to the family, so getting snipped isn't an option right now. The implanon has worked, because I didn't have any children on it, but the side effects were not fun(being dry)

So what were you on? Did it work? And what were the side effects?
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgbm13
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM

You need to ask your dr about what is right for you.  And looking short term probably.  For me I was on the pul 24/7 due to endometriosis and caused gallbladder issues.  I have a heart condition so that now limits as well.  

froggyfreak330
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Im actually using the rhythm method. I know its not very popular since you have to work on tracking your ovulation dates to make it work, but for me its been working wonders. Its been almost a year since I started using it and I haven't had any accidental pregnancies. Its not great for women who have irregular periods and ovulation dates, but if you can track your ovulation date to within a day or two and dont vary much from month to month you could try it. I find that there are advantages to using it, like not having to pay for birth control(especially if its not covered by your insurance or something), or just not having to worry about remembering to take a pill or change something. You can do some research on it if it sounds like something you could do. Good luck finding whatever method is right for you. :)

amanda_mom89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM
I'm using paraguard.

So far the only side effects is some cramping here and there and a heavier period.

Considering that hormonal Bc makes me nuts and I don't trust NFL (for us) this is great until we can afford DH's vasectomy.
MMerrill
by Melissa on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I was on the Implanon last year and it killed my sex drive.  A lot of my girlfriends had the same complaint.

I tried the Nuva Ring and hated it.  The only BC I liked was the pill, Yaz to be specific.  However I've decided to stop using hormonal BC.  We use condoms and VCF's now.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I don't take any

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to your doc but I am on Depo shot every 3 month have been for many years off for a year and was miserable w/periods so back on it now and much better no side effects for me or I am just used to it, there are some but they never effected me, I got lucky no weight gain nothing!

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM

OH an no periods have not had any since I was taken off for the year.. they stopped when I went back on the Depo and I love that part!

LuvMyBoys09
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm on the pill....it works best for me.
I mean, I hate having to have an alarm on my phone set, so I don't forget to take it (I'm terrible at remembering to take pills) but it hasn't screwed with my sex drive and hasn't turned me in to a raging bitchlet.
Mommyto3band1g
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Ive been on the depo shot for over a year now. For the first 3 shots i had a few days of spotting and i gained a total of 20 lbs since i started it. Thats about it. I dont have periods, no acne and im not moody. i do get headaches but i blame that on having a total of 4 epidurals so far.

mommy2smommy2
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Merina for me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN