Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Stepping out of your comfort zone?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today, my DH took my car to work so I could take his in to get a leaky tire fixed.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? Well, I actually have ADD and keeping a routine is one way I find peace. Doing something out of the ordinary stresses me out. My DH didn't ask me to do it, and he was fine with waiting until Saturday so he could take care of it himself. However, I knew it was something that needed to be done and since DD is at summer camp all morning, I knew I'd have the time to do it, so I offered.

He was appreciative anyway, but because he knows things like this are uncomfortable for me, he was extra appreciative. And I love the guy, so it was worth it to me :)

Anyway, it may not be something exactly like this situation, but have you ever stepped out of your comfort zone to do something for your SO? How did he react?

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), Baby's Firsts (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I have social anxiety and I'm an extreme introvert, so doing car things is just a big no no for me. I just can't do it. It causes me WAY too much stress. DH doesn't mind taking care of all of it. I tend to take care of things that he doesn't like to do, so we even each other out.

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I have.  One winter we were driving to North Dakota at the Montana border to drop off an application for him at the oil fields.  We left at midnight to be there at 8am and a blizzard had just started.  He drove the first while but I'm really the night owl here so I said I'd drive.  I'm night blind to begin with but what we didn't realize til we got to Minot was that they had shut down the #2.  We were the only vehicle on the road and I had to drive on the shoulder because it had less snow than the actual highway.  I finally woke him up when we got to a bridge because I thought it was a realy high hill.  I'm terrified of heights, it was slippery, and I couldn't see much at all (night blind :P )  Anyways by the time he woke up it was obvious that it was just a small bridge and not a very steep hill.  He appreciated my efforts though and we had an awesome little road trip.
Yesterday I drove the tractor and baled for my dad......that was out of my comfort zone too. lol

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM

yes,

driving in traffic, city traffic, 4 lane traffic, rush hour traffic is nearly impossible for me... especially if it's a route I've never traveled before. ...high anxiety -> almost panic attack situations, and last summer I had to drive SO's pick up while he drove the U Haul from WNY to West TN.  We left at 10 pm on a Saturday night so we could avoid most of the traffic issues. If I had my way, we'd have taken 2 days to go, and avoided all the high anxiety areas for me, but nope.. he wanted to go his way, and so we did. Ohio to Louisville KY nearly did me in. He still cannot comprehend why it is such an issue for me.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Yes and no problems at all I always deal with his car and all of that to me it is normal I am not sure I have a real comfort zone I do most all inside the house and I do a lot outside also, I do all bills and errands, outside my comfort zone would be driving in rush hour traffic I hate it, so I try to stay home then but sometimes I have no choice.. It is terrible here where we live!

LadyBast
by Brenda on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:16 PM

So how did it go today for you??

M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM

My "comfort zone" is pretty wide so I don't have a problem with doing most things.  The one thing that I hate to do that my husband does well is negotiate prices.  That is where I'm no so comfortable and I have him do it.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM

It went well, as it always does :) For me, it's less about the task and more that it's not something I'm used to. And I have always had a hard time accepting things that are out of my norm. But it went smoothly, and now we don't need to worry about the tire, so win-win :)

Quoting LadyBast:

So how did it go today for you??

furbabymum
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I'm the sort of person that pretty much isn't ever uncomfortable.

My DH goes to things for me that I know he would rather not go to, so love him!

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:09 AM

One of the bigger things I did... was being our 20 yr old daughter had to move across the country from us to florida (we are in Michigan where we raised her)  and of course even though we keep in close touch we miss her and I always refused to go on any commercial flight because I am terrified of heights. .. I won't even go on a ferris wheel and when I DID make myself go on one for my kids I was teary thru the whole thing I was so scared... but especially since I don't/can't drive so Todd does all the driving.. I didn't want him to have to drive that far and waste a lot of time on the road that we could be spending with our daughter instead if we flew ... so I took my prescription anxiety pills and had 2 light cocktails (haha I know that sounds like a lot but I didnt feel or act "altered" at all.. all it did was make me feel less panicky otherwise I was totally normal) anyway I managed to get myself on the plane for his sake and to see our daughter and get to spend more time with her... I was VERY VERY surprised that it didn't FEEL  like I was up high even though I could see out the window.. I didn't feel scared at all as a matter of fact I feel more anxious in the car ... it only took 2 1/2 hrs to get to Florida so we had all that extra time to spend with Amanda having fun together instead of wasting it driving there and back and I was so proud that on the flight back I was able to get on the plane with NO anxiety pills nor cocktails at all and did fine! So I got over my lifelong phobia of planes (still terrified of heights though) and  this april we flew to florida to see her and back again.. and now Todd is extra excited bc now that I can fly places we are going to go on bucket list places we want to visit each year YAY

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN