Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

I can't believe I am considering this.

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 17 Replies

I work FT. I've tried SAH and it wasn't for me. I'm considering it now. Well I consider it a job switch. I'd be farming instead of dealing with criminals. My only concern is financial. I want to do so much and the infrastructure of it all is rather a lot. I haven't worked out in my mind what to do about that. Do I work until I have more infrastructure in place and then quit or do I lower my initial expectations and quit and build. Problems problems. DH is right on board. He's been so supportive that I had to ask him to stop because I now feel like I haven't been supportive enough of his dreams. It's getting a little sappy over here people.

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM

lol at the sappy!  I like that. :)

Small time farming here is at a loss. :(  My dad works to keep the farm running.  He basically gets 4 hours sleep and the rest of the day is go go go.  I'm not sure how it is in your area but for me, I eventually want my own farm, I'd have more infrastructure in place and have it all worked out in my mind and on paper first.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever achieve that dream because I really do have so many that it would cause conflict with other dreams I have. lol  Fortunately DH is supportive of all of them and lets me do as I please.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I have friends that farm full time but they started small and added as they went. Are you talking about a crop sharing farm (CSA)?

Her husband worked full time while she stayed home with the kids and handled most of the set up and then when they were making enough of a profit he quit and they both do it full time now. 

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

uhhmmmm... no clue, but good luck !

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jul. 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Wishing you the best and most happiness in whatever you decide. : ) 

When I feel on the fence about a big decision.. I find it helpful to make a pros and cons list for both or all choices and write everything that comes to my mind and usually ask Todd for everything that comes to his mind too, in case he thinks of something I didn't and then it becomes clearer when I see what lists are weighing heaviest in  pros and least in cons. : ) 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My farm will be fairly specialized and I'll be fulfilling a niche that is completely missing in my area. I'm not expecting to get rich but I do think I can help decrease outputs drastically and provide some input. That's my hope at least!!!

I hope you get your dream!

Quoting BonitaM:

lol at the sappy!  I like that. :)Small time farming here is at a loss. :(  My dad works to keep the farm running.  He basically gets 4 hours sleep and the rest of the day is go go go.  I'm not sure how it is in your area but for me, I eventually want my own farm, I'd have more infrastructure in place and have it all worked out in my mind and on paper first.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever achieve that dream because I really do have so many that it would cause conflict with other dreams I have. lol  Fortunately DH is supportive of all of them and lets me do as I please.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I believe I'm going to be more of a learning farm. I'm doing a permaculture U-pick food forest. I'll have livestock on 5 acres for our benefit but most of the acreage will go toward trees. There isn't a single U-pick orchard in my area. I think it will be very popular once established. Problem with the plan is that infrastructure is a huge up front cost and then maturity of the trees will take years. So no profit for a long time here.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I have friends that farm full time but they started small and added as they went. Are you talking about a crop sharing farm (CSA)?

Her husband worked full time while she stayed home with the kids and handled most of the set up and then when they were making enough of a profit he quit and they both do it full time now. 

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I think the only con I can think of is financial. Increased heating, food and electrical bills while having a decreased income. So that's the concern. Plus how will I buy tons of trees if we don't have the money. Of course, we have our mineral rights and we got our sign on bonus so we are doing extremely well financially. We'd just agreed that all mineral money would go toward paying off the house early. So this would change the plan and stress my DH out and I don't know about the money.....

Quoting earthangel1967:

Wishing you the best and most happiness in whatever you decide. : ) 

When I feel on the fence about a big decision.. I find it helpful to make a pros and cons list for both or all choices and write everything that comes to my mind and usually ask Todd for everything that comes to his mind too, in case he thinks of something I didn't and then it becomes clearer when I see what lists are weighing heaviest in  pros and least in cons. : ) 

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Oh ok. For my dad he farms livestock so there are alot of regulations and restrictions preventing him from making the profits he could be having. 

I saw that you posted that you are doing a Upick forest.  That is sooo cool!  What will you be growing?  My favorite thing to do is to go berry picking (even staying an extra 2 weeks at my parents for the berry/mushroom season).  It's too cold up here to pick any tree fruits but that would be something I'd definitely want to do.  Good luck and I hope all goes well with it....and when the trees are ready let me know so I can come pick some. ;)

Quoting furbabymum:

My farm will be fairly specialized and I'll be fulfilling a niche that is completely missing in my area. I'm not expecting to get rich but I do think I can help decrease outputs drastically and provide some input. That's my hope at least!!!

Quoting BonitaM:

lol at the sappy!  I like that. :)Small time farming here is at a loss. :(  My dad works to keep the farm running.  He basically gets 4 hours sleep and the rest of the day is go go go.  I'm not sure how it is in your area but for me, I eventually want my own farm, I'd have more infrastructure in place and have it all worked out in my mind and on paper first.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM

So far I've planted peach, pear, plum and apple trees. Rasberry and blackberry bushes and strawberry plants. Since it's permaculture I'll have all sorts of vegetables intermixed with the trees.

They were sold out of cherries but I'll be getting them. Probably going to purchase more of all the varities I already have. Also considering figs, apricots and whatever else I can find to grow here.

I can't grow blueberries since our soil is clay and thus alkaline but I wish I could.

I've also got a nut forest barely started with walnut trees. I'm on a list to get hazelnut and then of course I'll be getting almond, chestnut, hearnut, butternut, etc. It's all very exciting! Big financial investment though. So far I only have 5 acres planted with trees but if I want to have a successful U-pick I'm giong to need to do the whole property. That's going to be hundreds of trees.

Oh, I also forgot the grapes. I have my test vines in. If they do well I'll plant a few acres of grapes as well!

Quoting BonitaM:

Oh ok. For my dad he farms livestock so there are alot of regulations and restrictions preventing him from making the profits he could be having. 

I saw that you posted that you are doing a Upick forest.  That is sooo cool!  What will you be growing?  My favorite thing to do is to go berry picking (even staying an extra 2 weeks at my parents for the berry/mushroom season).  It's too cold up here to pick any tree fruits but that would be something I'd definitely want to do.  Good luck and I hope all goes well with it....and when the trees are ready let me know so I can come pick some. ;)

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting BonitaM:

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Oh wow that sounds like my kind of forest! :)  What state are you in? 

Quoting furbabymum:

So far I've planted peach, pear, plum and apple trees. Rasberry and blackberry bushes and strawberry plants. Since it's permaculture I'll have all sorts of vegetables intermixed with the trees.

They were sold out of cherries but I'll be getting them. Probably going to purchase more of all the varities I already have. Also considering figs, apricots and whatever else I can find to grow here.

I can't grow blueberries since our soil is clay and thus alkaline but I wish I could.

I've also got a nut forest barely started with walnut trees. I'm on a list to get hazelnut and then of course I'll be getting almond, chestnut, hearnut, butternut, etc. It's all very exciting! Big financial investment though. So far I only have 5 acres planted with trees but if I want to have a successful U-pick I'm giong to need to do the whole property. That's going to be hundreds of trees.

Oh, I also forgot the grapes. I have my test vines in. If they do well I'll plant a few acres of grapes as well!

Quoting BonitaM:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting BonitaM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)