Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Safeguarding Your Marriage

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM
  • 22 Replies

I went to a lecture over the weekend about maintaining a happy, healthy marriage. It was given by a marriage counselor (and I don't remember her name!) and she had some very interesting information.

Basically, she said that 100% of the couples she works with don't do the following 5 things, but that their relationships improve when they start doing them. So here are her 5 steps to safeguarding your marriage:

1. Pray together
Obviously, not all couples pray. But if you are someone who does, do you pray with your husband? Coming together to pray, rather than always doing it on your own, will bring you closer together.

2. Play together
This could mean anything from board games and video games, to participating in hobbies together.

3. Have sex
Well...yeah. :)

4. Say "I love you"
Not just with words, but with actions. Find ways throughout the day not only to say "I love you" but to show your love for each other.

5. Kiss
Not just a quick peck before going to work. A real 10+ second make-out kiss.

Do you two do these things? If not, would you be willing to try to see if it made an improvement?

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), Baby's Firsts (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM

All but have sex (well, ATM). We are very intimate in other ways though (outside of the bedroom).

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM
3 moms liked this

not married.

we don't do # 1

marriages get into trouble when we let other things become more important than our spouse.. work.. and (gasp!) children.

When you keep your spouse at #1, you're far less likely to have issues

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM

We do all but pray together.  DH is semi religious and I lean more towards devil worshipping.  Would not help our marriage in the least. lol  I think the other 4 are great though. 

I think talk should be on that list too.  DH talk about the future but we find it hard to talk about our feelings or finances and such things.  It's really important to be able to talk about everything though. 

furbabymum
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM

We did all that before counseling. Counseling taught us how to communicate. That's what saved our marriage.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM
We do all of the above, but are lacking a little in the sex departement. These arent the only important factors in a happy marriage but they are a pretty big part (at least in ours!)
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM
We do all of the above but pray because we are atheists. We have a great marriage.
jenn75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM
We do everything but pray.
beeky
by Alexandra on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

We do all of those except #1 because we're atheists.

Pukity
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Loved it. so far we are doing 4 of them, we havenĀ“t played anything together. maybe we can try and see how it works

UCFknight
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

All of these are great! The only thing I would add is listening. We all hear a lot throughout the day, but how much do we actually retain? I listen to my husband and give him (when kids are not present) my undivided attention. After the little ones are in bed, those conversations we have, they are just awesome. It could be deep convos or just about the day's activities. But just being able to vent, let go of what we had to carry around that day, and know the other one is listening, it's something we both greatly cherish in each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN