Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

When you're not together

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
  • 56 Replies

Whether it's a few hours, a few days, a few weeks, or more, what - if anything - do the two of you do to stay connected while you're apart?

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), Baby's Firsts (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToovey
by Marianne on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM

We usually text a few times throughout the day while he's at work. If one of us is on a trip without the other, we usually call a few times as well, and try to fit in at least one Skype during the absence.

waytomanykids10
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Text or call but we are rarely apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM

We IM each other while we are at work.

DKk0531
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Dh is gone quiet a lot, he's a wildland firefighter and is gone two-3 weeks at a time. When he's not on the fire line, we usually FaceTime or talk on the phone. When he's on the fire line there is hardly no contact at all and that sucks! We pick out books that we like, buy two copies and read them while he's gone, he usually only reads while he's on the way to whatever fire then we talk about what we read. It's hard.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM
We text all day long
maria1613
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM
We text each other throughout the day while we're apart
MomToovey
by Marianne on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

What a cute idea! I love the thought of knowing that while you're apart, you can still experience the same thing!

Quoting DKk0531: Dh is gone quiet a lot, he's a wildland firefighter and is gone two-3 weeks at a time. When he's not on the fire line, we usually FaceTime or talk on the phone. When he's on the fire line there is hardly no contact at all and that sucks! We pick out books that we like, buy two copies and read them while he's gone, he usually only reads while he's on the way to whatever fire then we talk about what we read. It's hard.

Fayanne
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM

ooo goodness... this is a bit of a sore spot for me, since this is a LDR.

He is currently in China for 16 days. Before he left, I wrote out 16 short little notes, put each in an envelope with a date on it (eg, Aug 1, Aug 2, etc) and snuck them into his carry on for him to read later.  Currently I get one short phone call a day.

Otherwise, when he's in TN, it's a phone call in the morning, then one or two in the evening.

He used to send me sweet text messages during the day. I don't get them any more. I asked for them. His response was "well that goes both ways".. so... I am the only one who sends them now. I buy cute little cards and send them, too. Get none of those things in return. If, perchance, I do get a text in the middle of the day.. it's not at all about me. It's one of those "hey, just had lunch with so and so"... and I can text back and ask for details, etc, and he'll answer my questions, but get not one 'hey, how is your day?' or "hey, you are amazing, I love you". Seeing that others here can get their SO to text, IM, etc... WTF... lol. He used to.... doesn't any more.... !

Had a conversation (or two, or three) about this in the last few months. He  knows he needs to step it up. He's been sick all summer, so he asked for time to get healthy, and then he will make it up to me. I don't know how. He gets back from China late Sat  night and then leaves for TN probably on Tues.

I'm about at the point where it's time for one more conversation. I NEED MORE or this relationship isn't gonna make it too much farther. Time to step it up, Buddy.

DKk0531
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I also try to keep up in fire info so I know what's going on with what he's doing, probably not the best idea but I like knowing lol

Quoting MomToovey:

What a cute idea! I love the thought of knowing that while you're apart, you can still experience the same thing!

Quoting DKk0531: Dh is gone quiet a lot, he's a wildland firefighter and is gone two-3 weeks at a time. When he's not on the fire line, we usually FaceTime or talk on the phone. When he's on the fire line there is hardly no contact at all and that sucks! We pick out books that we like, buy two copies and read them while he's gone, he usually only reads while he's on the way to whatever fire then we talk about what we read. It's hard.

Goodybag1
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Yes, on his lunch breaks. Sometimes I prefer not to but, he's use to it now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)