Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

His uncle is dying--what can I do?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 9 Replies
My DH has an uncle that he's close to and he was told he's dying and there's nothing they can do. My DH bottles things up by being really silly and not sitting still. Well, he's doing all the house work by himself and singing and cracking jokes which, if you know my DH, means he's far from ok. What do I do? He just keep cracking jokes instead of talking about it. Should I just let him bottle it up? should I try and get him to talk? I've never had to deal with something like that this before. Please help me help him!
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
chaotic.mind
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM
I'd just let him know you're there if he wants to talk about it and leave it at that.
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

You can't. He has to deal with this on his own terms. Don't stop him from doing it as it's his way of coping. Just hug him, say you love him, and let him deal. 

UCFknight
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Sorry to hear about your husband's uncle. But the other posters are right. Let him grief and go through this in his own way. Just be there for him. My husband was not a big talker when it came to losing a loved one or friend.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Pray....and just be there for him. Sometimes all they need is an ear to listen,a hug, or a shoulder to lean on.hugs

CodJesKai
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok, I'll just watch him. He seems to have calmed down today. Except he made eggs. That was strange. But no jokes so far. Thanks everyone!
MomToovey
by Marianne on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I'm sorry for what he and the family are going through. I also agree with the others that there's not much you can do, just let him grieve the best way he knows how. And remind him that you're there for him, no matter what.

Good luck.

maria1613
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Just remind him that you're there for him if/when he needs you. There's really nothing otherwise that you'll be able to do until he's ready.
bec94
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM
This exactly. Dh lost his mom a year after we were married, then his dad 4 years later. Just be there, be understanding and do the small things you know he appreciates. It's a rough time. Be patient and understanding.

Quoting chaotic.mind: I'd just let him know you're there if he wants to talk about it and leave it at that.
ATG499
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Tell him you're there for him no matter what and give him a big, long hug.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN