Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Neighbor Changed My Life.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this

When I was married to my first husband I had a neighbor that changed my life and she didn't even know it.  I wish I could find her and tell her.

My first husband abused me during my pregnancy and one neighbor tried to befriend me, but like everyone else that tried to help me, my husband did something to make her stay away after awhile. 

One of the few times I was at her house I saw a picture of her and her husband.  They were at a fair or something and it looked like someone had just snapped a picture of them.  They had their arms around each other and were looking at each other with so much love in their eyes that the love just seemed to flow around them. 

I didn't think people really loved each other that way.  How could they love each other so much?  How could she be so happy?  I wanted that.  i dreamed about it and realized that I would never have it as long as I stayed married to my husband. 

His abuse kept up even after I had my daughter.  At one point I was like one of those stupid girls that run upstairs from an axe murderer.  I ran through the house and tried to get under my bed.  Don't ask me what I was thinking.  Anyway, he grabbed me and pulled me out.  While I was still flat he dropped all of his weight on my stomach.  I swear it felt like my uterus shot right out of my body. 

I finally escaped a few days later.  Ten years after that I re-married and am still married to the same man.  We have been married for twenty one years now.  I still think about that picture.  Even to this day.  A few months after we were married I had a professional picture taken of us, in kind of the same way.  I love looking at that picture.  It is packed away right now, but if I ever find it, I will post it.  :)

Just thinking that sometimes the smallest thing can change someone else' life.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for sharing your story! It can be a testament for women who are facing abuse right now. I'm sure your neighbor still thinks about you,too? Angels are all around us!angel mini 

LadyBast
by Brenda on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

What a great story and yes I agree one pic is worth 1000 words or more and I love to capture those moments they mean so much to me and the person I am shooting. Thanks for sharing here are a few I have shot not long ago, the first is my hubby and I and the second is a couple that is friends of ours, I posed both pics and shot them... I love them b/c of the meaning and the love!

UCFknight
by Brenda on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Wow! Amazing how a photo can change someone's life. I hope one day your paths cross again. Grateful you got out of that abusive relationship?

Emren0316
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM

So glad to hear that you are in a safe and happy place now! You are a strong women who has been through alot. It is amazing how much the small things in life really change us! Thanks for sharing your story!

((Hugs and Love))

Emren0316

Serenity7
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Thats good

photo pumkin_zps0a17ca7e.png 

M4LG5
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for sharing!  That was such a beautiful story!!!!

DenaAndRichard
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Great story very happy you were able to escape. That was around 31 years ago. There weren't many shelters and such things then as now. I'm glad you got your daughter out of that environment also. Too many times the children get abused too. And children learn what they see they will either become the abuser or be the abusee. Rarely do you get to witness the cycle being broken I'm very happy you broke that cycle! You are an encouragement to many other women!
PogoPalOj
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Awww y'all look so sweet together!puppy

Quoting LadyBast:

What a great story and yes I agree one pic is worth 1000 words or more and I love to capture those moments they mean so much to me and the person I am shooting. Thanks for sharing here are a few I have shot not long ago, the first is my hubby and I and the second is a couple that is friends of ours, I posed both pics and shot them... I love them b/c of the meaning and the love!

Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

great story

PogoPalOj
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM

At the time I lived in Texas and there in 1983 it was legal to beat your wife, even with a stick as long as it was no thicker than your thumb.  That is where the term, ' rule of thumb' comes from.  It was however illegal for me to hit him. That law did change in 1984.  I was able to find a battered women's shelter in Midland Texas, I lived in Odessa Texas.  My daughter grew up to be much stronger and tougher than me.  I am so proud of her!

Her and my mom.

Quoting DenaAndRichard: Great story very happy you were able to escape. That was around 31 years ago. There weren't many shelters and such things then as now. I'm glad you got your daughter out of that environment also. Too many times the children get abused too. And children learn what they see they will either become the abuser or be the abusee. Rarely do you get to witness the cycle being broken I'm very happy you broke that cycle! You are an encouragement to many other women!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)