Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you get your SO to commit?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 22 Replies

Katherine Heigl Used John Mayer to Trick Her Husband Into Marrying Her

Katherine Heigl is beautiful, talented and, okay maybe a little rude (or so we hear) but it's difficult to believe she would have to trick a guy to commit to her. But that's exactly what the 35-year-old State of Affairs actress admitted she did in order to get husband Josh Kelley to put a ring on her finger. What's even more interesting: she used playboy singer John Mayer to get Josh to finally see what he'd be missing if he didn't commit.

Heigl opened up on The Meredith Vieira Show and confessed that she met Mayer at the same time as Josh and that she and Katy Perry's (and everyone else's) ex connected because they lived close to one another and know some of the same people. Heigl says her husband was "playing hard to get" and had gone off on tour and left her wondering about the status of their relationship.

Although she insists that she and John never hooked up, Heigl says they did spend an awful lot of time together -- hanging out as friends. I mean, I guess it's possible, but given Mayer's track record with famous women, you have to wonder whether he at least assumed he was clocking in valuable friend time so that it could eventually develop into something more.

Then again, who knows, maybe there was no romantic chemistry to speak of between these two or perhaps Heigl caught John on one of those rare three days out of each year when he is single.

Either way, listen to what Katherine did next: she called up Josh and said, "Josh, I've got to be honest. I just want to know where we stand because if not, I might try to pursue something with John."

Heigl says she knows darn well that musicians are "competitive and jealous of each other" and I guess she was right because her soft threat made Josh realize he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. The couple now share two daughters -- 5-year-old Naleigh and 2-year-old Adelaide.

On the one hand, I think Katherine was pretty savvy in the way she persued Josh. Some guys really seem to need that little push to get them to commit -- not because they aren't in love, but because they don't equate vows and marriage certificates with a strong and healthy relationship. On the other hand, I would personally hate to feel like my husband's proposal wasn't entirely his idea. Something about this zaps just a bit of the romance out of the relationship.

What do you think about what Katherine did? Is it okay to get your boyfriend to commit this way?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't "get him to commit". He wanted to commit and did so, willingly. I wouldn't play games and I wouldn't do what Katherine did.
Sister_Someone
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I didn't "get him" to commit. If anything, it was the other way around. Marriage is not important to me. I never would have asked for it, ever.

LoriAnn87
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I didn't get him to commit it was his choice if he wanted to commit to me and our relationship or now.

UCFknight
by Brenda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I cooked him my mama's famous arroz con pollo y habichuelas and alcapurrias! What?! Isn't that how every woman hooks a man?

Lol, these articles sometimes... just...good grief. I didn't have to make little threats or play games like Heigl. i loved him, he loved me, and neither of us wanted to go another day without each other. 

M4LG5
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I got pregnant with twins! hahaha

Actually, he was committed before I found I was pregnant.

Fire_N_Ice
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM
I didn't 'get him to commit'. He wanted to commit to me. I was the one who was more hesitant in moving forward in our relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yum!  Make that for me and you might get ME to commit!  lol

Quoting UCFknight:

I cooked him my mama's famous arroz con pollo y habichuelas and alcapurrias! What?! Isn't that how every woman hooks a man?

Lol, these articles sometimes... just...good grief. I didn't have to make little threats or play games like Heigl. i loved him, he loved me, and neither of us wanted to go another day without each other. 

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this
It was a 3 step process for me.

We were FWB and after about 3 months I said either we are exclusive or we are over. We pretty much were anyways so I became his "girlfriend".

About 4 months later I told him he either had to put a ring on it or I'd find someone who would so we got engaged.

A couple months later we moved in and I just kept asking if we could get married Today until he finally said. Yes Today but only Today. Lol

Yesterday we celebrated 13 years of marriage. We're still very much in love and he occasionally thanks me for pushing him in the right direction. I love that man do very much!
SpiritedWitch
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't. He wanted to marry me soon after we met. He had to convince me. 

Personally, I think playing stupid games with your partner will blow up in your face. She was stupid and it will come back to bite her in the ass. 

LadyBast
by Brenda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I did not get him to commit, he bought a ring and proposed to me that was all I do not like that word to me it means I forced him and that was not the issue with us we were in love and wanted to be married!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)