Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he just doesn't understand...

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

Don't get me wrong here, i love my husband no matter what. Even if he is big. I am trying to get my husband to understand that he needs to lose weight, and not for superficial reason, but for health reasons.  He accuses me of saying that I want him to lose the weight for superficial reason, but in all honesty, it doesn't bother me at all. But he has just continued to become more overweight over the past year and i am worried about his health. how do i make him understand to eat healthy and get motivated to lose weight. he needs to be healthy and not get heart disease or sleep apnea. i am worried. what would y'al do to get your s.o.'s to shed some pounds?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

mine didn't take it seriously until he was hospitalized with diverticulitis and his blood glucose levels were over 400 !

that was enough for him to change his diet and drop over 40 lbs.

ask your SO to get a Dr appointment set up.

And don't tell him it doesn't bother you 'at all'. It doesn't or you wouldn't be having this discussion with us.

Tell  him you want to keep him around for a long time.

But.. many guys won't do anything until they have a major health crisis , or someone close to them does. 

My guy was a former triathlete. He knows all about health and nutrition, and keeping fit.. but he didn't 'wake up' til he wound up in the hospital.

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Nov. 25, 2014 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you going to do it together? 

You both join a gym and get into shape?
You both go over a weekly menu of healthy food and one day of a treat meal?

If you are already healthy and fit, help him understand that you keep yourself fit for your children to set an example AND for him. You married him until death do you part and you want that death part FAR FAR away, not in the near future.  

justpeachy71904
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 6:32 AM
Is this a you vs him thing? Make it a joint effort. Do it together
traumaqueen
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I agree. Make it a joint effort.  Should be easy if you do the cooking. Do searches online for low calorie diets for certain weight groups.  Don't bring it up as a weight loss effort. Therefore he can't get discouraged if he doesn't lose weight quickly.  You can go on walks after dinner.

Quoting justpeachy71904: Is this a you vs him thing? Make it a joint effort. Do it together

furbabymum
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Well I do the shopping and the cooking so we'd be eating way different until he was healthier.

ladybugchick317
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

First of all take all the junk food out of the house so that the only things to eat are healthy foods. Then plan some family outings where you all will be doing something active.

Careeka22
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine doesn't either. I know it will take a medical scare for him to turn it around as bad as it is to say that. He is depressed, out of work and just putting on more weight. His family history is riddled with heart disease and diabetes too so I just feel something is eminant. He won't see a Dr. either. If you figure it out please let me know. I find it so selfish that they won't get help for themselves, especially when they have kids that look up to them.

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

There is nothing you can do to make your husband loss weight. Your husband will loss weight when he wants to

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Ditto

Quoting furbabymum:

Well I do the shopping and the cooking so we'd be eating way different until he was healthier.

Batgirl1118
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

exactly, and i hope it doesn't take something serious like a heart attack for either of our husbands to get right. 

Quoting Careeka22:

Mine doesn't either. I know it will take a medical scare for him to turn it around as bad as it is to say that. He is depressed, out of work and just putting on more weight. His family history is riddled with heart disease and diabetes too so I just feel something is eminant. He won't see a Dr. either. If you figure it out please let me know. I find it so selfish that they won't get help for themselves, especially when they have kids that look up to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)