Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What questions should women NEVER ask their mother-in-law?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM
  • 32 Replies

It's the holiday season, and encounters with your mother-in-law may be inevitable. That said, what are questions you think women should NEVER ask their mother-in-law? Either because you made the mistake of asking it once, simply feel it's inappropriate, or if you are a mother-in-law yourself, these are Qs you wouldn't to be asked by your DIL. Your response may be used in an upcoming feature on CafeMom. Thanks in advance!

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToovey
by Marianne on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I actually have a really close relationship with my MIL and feel comfortable enough to talk to her about anything. In the nearly 9 years we've known each other, I've never avoided asking her something.

RoaringLion
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM
I'm very close with my fiance's mother, I always have been. The only issue we've ever really had is my damn wedding.

I think though, that the same rules that apply to anyone apply to a mother in law. It depends on your relationship, how close you are, and also what era the woman grew up in, how she was raised. Know her, and know her comfort level, and give her the same respect you would like given.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I am fairly close with my MIL and feel that regular boundaries apply. I would never ask her something I wouldn't ask a stranger or something I wouldn't want asked of myself.
LadyBast
by Brenda on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM

So/so on this one but as for questions I just never really ask because if I want an answer I am sure I will not like it. So I just keep quiet :)  I hate to argue with her and we have done it so much over stupid things I stop asking or doing things like that!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I am close to my MIL but I guess I would never ask her personal,bedroom questions. lol

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Have you talked to her about sex? ttc_v2lol

Quoting MomToovey:

I actually have a really close relationship with my MIL and feel comfortable enough to talk to her about anything. In the nearly 9 years we've known each other, I've never avoided asking her something.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

What happend with your wedding?

Quoting RoaringLion: I'm very close with my fiance's mother, I always have been. The only issue we've ever really had is my damn wedding. I think though, that the same rules that apply to anyone apply to a mother in law. It depends on your relationship, how close you are, and also what era the woman grew up in, how she was raised. Know her, and know her comfort level, and give her the same respect you would like given.

I agree with what you said. 

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Very well said! And good words to live by!

Quoting anotherandree: I am fairly close with my MIL and feel that regular boundaries apply. I would never ask her something I wouldn't ask a stranger or something I wouldn't want asked of myself.

Jtcjtmom
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I know not to ask my mil anything. She knows everything and speaks at people instead of to them.
casah4
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

"So, just how was my husband conceived?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)