Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Can't Believe I Don't Remeber That!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

Recently I've gotten in contact with my niece by marriage.  She is my first husband's niece.  He is just got out of prison for raping a eight year old little boy.  And I just found out it was his nephew and that her dad had molested her.  Man, this just sucks.

Anyway, we were talking and I she was talking about one time when my first husband was beating the crap out of me when I was pregnant.  She said she remembered her mom breaking it up and me going to the hospital in an ambulance.  I don't remember any of that.  Well, I remember plenty of times he hit me.  I remember being on the bathroom floor of our apartment and going into pre mature labor and him yelling at me not to push.  But I don't ever remember being beat up so bad an ambulance was called.

Granted this was thirty two years ago.  But damn, now its bugging me.  I keep wracking my brain trying to remember.

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:57 PM

You locked it away for a reason. So you WON'T remember it. It's a protective reflex. 

PogoPalOj
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM

But damn, why did I remember all the other times?

Quoting TommyAbby:

You locked it away for a reason. So you WON'T remember it. It's a protective reflex. 

DisabledVet
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Often your mind forgets what is to taxing for you to remember. It's a coping mechanism. If it's really bothering you, sometimes seeing a counselor can help you regain those memories.

Valentina327
by Member on Jan. 1, 2015 at 5:46 PM
It was obviously pretty bad if you got carted off in an ambulance
craazycuckoo
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM

In your other post you say you've been married twice...and you have been married for 21 years now.

Your first marriage was 32 years ago...so how long long were you married the first and second time?

I'm starting to think you're a troll.

PogoPalOj
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM

I got married the first time in 1982, I was seventeen.  I left when my daughter was six months old, in December of 1983.  My divorce was final in February 1984.  I remarried in 1985 and he divorced me in 1987.  I remarried in 1993.

PogoPalOj
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM

I do have a plate in my head from a childhood accident.  And he looovved to slam my head into a wall; so that could be part of it.  But I don't remember broken ribs or a bloody face or anything.  Although, he usually hit where people couldn't see.

Quoting Valentina327: It was obviously pretty bad if you got carted off in an ambulance

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Sometimes when you're a kid, the line between reality and imagination become a little blurred, especially as you get older.  When I was around 4 or 5 I saw my stepfather beating my mother.  I remember it vividly, in my mind anyway.  But being only 4 or 5 things became a little blurred as I remembered the event years later.  For instance, I remember seeing him slam her up against the wall but I'm pretty sure there weren't spears sticking up out of the floor, blocking me in the doorway where I couldn't get to her.  Sometimes your memory plays tricks on you.  She might be getting several memories mixed up as well.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jan. 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM

It's possible that she's misremembering. It's possible that you blocked it. After all, if it was bad enough to need an ambulance, it must have been pretty awful. I don't know. But I do know I'd be thanking my lucky stars every day that I got out of there, which you undoubtedly are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)