Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody ever do the Love Dare?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:08 AM
  • 20 Replies

How did it work for your relationship if so?  If you havent, are you considering it?

It is so hard for me to get past Day 1-to not say anything negative-because its just so hard for me to bite my tongue when something is bothering me!

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dardenella
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:11 AM

I have the book and have not openned it yet.  In day one does that mean not say anything negative at all or just about your  partner or to your partner?

I did not think it would be easy.

PinkGlitterBomb
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:14 AM
No.

And that sounds silly. Are you just supposed to 'grin and bear it', rather than address the issue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dardenella
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you know anything about this Love Dare?

It is designed to help you to strengthen your marriage and show your partner that you love them.

Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:24 AM

the book has been recommended by many in this group.

you honestly can't get through ONE DAY without saying anything negative?

wow....

I have done parts of the Love Dare, but not all. we're in a long distance relationship most of the year, we're not married, and shortly after I began it last June he became very seriously ill

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:50 AM
I don't like bottling things up or lying and omission is a lie to me so yeah if something is bothering me then I say something. No saying it could make them think "well it's okay that I continue doing this or that I don't do what I'm supposed to do because she didn't say anything.

Quoting Fayanne:

wow....

I have done parts of the Love Dare, but not all. we're in a long distance relationship most of the year, we're not married, and shortly after I began it last June he became very seriously ill

Serenity7
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM

My husband & I did the love dare. We both enjoyed it

JustMeNmine1
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM

To avoid saying anything negative, perhaps consider positive reinforcement. IE: Instead of saying" You don't help around the house enough" try "I truly appreciate when you do ____"

I do not believe the idea is to suck it up. If so I would only think that would create an awful lot of resentment, at least it would for me.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM

My DH and I have done it twice, just for fun. Day 1 was hard for me only because we're always so sarcastic with one another. LOL! So it was difficult to tone the sarcasm down, even though he would have known I was only joking - or vice versa.

anotherandree
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM

We bought the book right after the movie came out.  We tried it for about 7 days and then my husband came to me and said that he would keep going if I wanted to.  However, he felt that our relationship was almost perfect and doing something to make it "better" seemed fake and forced.  It was probably one of the sweetest conversations we've ever had.

anotherandree
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM

I agree.  

I think there is a difference between not saying anything negative and bottling everything up.  My husband and I aren't mean, we rarely fight, but we found VERY early in our marriage that it is better (for us) to just say it (nicely), talk about it, and let it be done.  For exampe, he made a playful joke about my cooking.  I hate to cook so I was highly offended.  I could have played it off, but that would have just festered, so instead I said, "Hey, that really made me feel unappreciated when you said ___ about my cooking tonight."  He apologized, explained that he was joking but could see why I would be offended.  The end.  Without the conversation, I would have had those thought swirling around in my head next time I was tempted to cook! 

I think the "no negativity" is more for those that constantly bicker and nag.

Quoting MixedCooke: I don't like bottling things up or lying and omission is a lie to me so yeah if something is bothering me then I say something. No saying it could make them think "well it's okay that I continue doing this or that I don't do what I'm supposed to do because she didn't say anything.
Quoting Fayanne:

wow....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)