Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Convinced Him To Throw Out Our Soul Mates Vanity Plate (ETA in RED :)

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:16 AM
  • 32 Replies

About 3 or 4 yrs ago.... my husband Todd, all on his own, surprised me, by going online and designing a vanity plate for the front of his vehicle. 

It was a close up color photo of us cheek to cheek. It said Soulmates Forever on it.  It was SO sweet and he absolutely loved it and was very proud of it.  He also had a license plate frame for around the back plate that says Todd and Yvonne Soul Mates Forever. 

Over the years, many strangers of all ages from teens to elderly people would stop us in parking lots to tell us how much they loved it and how sweet they thought it was. Awww. 

We recently traded his vehicle in for a newer car and when they were going to transfer the plates over to the new car. I told Todd that it gave me a moment to reflect on whether that was such a good idea.

I explained to him as much as I love it too and am very touched by it... BUT SERIOUS reason for concern...

1. worried it could make us a target for some psycho stranger.. even though we live in a nice and low crime area.. there are sociopaths scattered anywhere you go. 

2. Even BIGGER concern is Todd is one of the bosses at work. He is in charge of everyone on the midnight shift and while they all tell him he is their favorite boss they ever had.. he DOES have to discipline or even fire people every once in awhile.  I've always worried about a disgruntled ex employee coming back for revenge and think making his vehicle so obviously his is just raising his risks.  He does carry a loaded gun everywhere he goes (has concealed weapons license) but is not allowed to bring it inside work.

3. Our oldest son (27) has an obsessive threatening ex girlfriend that he broke up with and left bc of her insanity and violence over a year and a half a go, maybe almost 2.. and she has been stalking especially him but also his entire family of Me and Todd and his 4 siblings and any girl he dates in the meantime and even  any girl he dates "kids" in one case! She sends threats of our lives and talks about her bloodlust for us and how she is going to get us and wipe us all out etc etc.  I hope for her sake she never comes to mine and Todd's apt to hurt us because we'll shoot her if we have to and that would be tragic. I'm more worried about our adult kids though.. especially our 2 sons since she hates them the most.  I told Todd you don't want to make it easier for her to find us by having our photo on the car.  We all ignore her and do not reply when she sends threats... (she THRIVES on any attention even negative so we didn't want to encourage her and hoped she would bore of our NO reactions to her and eventually move on.. so far she is still at it. ) We considered getting restraining orders but knowing her the way we do, thinks that will make her worse, because again it gives her proof she IS getting to us and that we are paying attention. Also it lists your addresses and stuff on order which is fricking STUPID. No thank you! 

He agreed 100% and so we sadly told the car dealership to throw it away. 

I told Todd if it's very important to him he can get a soulmates forever plate but with NO names and NO photo. But I told him to even give that a lot of thought first. 

ETA: 

1. Don't worry everyone we DID keep a photo of the old vanity plate that we threw out - we don't have room to store it and are ocd about not storing anything we don't have to, but are very happy with having a photo of it.

2. WE ARE getting a new Soul Mates Forever vanity plate for sure! Todd said he is going to design and order a new one most likely this weekend. This one will NOT have our photo and will NOT have our names,, so it will have the sentimentality without the potential danger. We are both excited and happy about it. 

View Full Size ImageYVONNE

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shymomof4
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Aww you should have kept it. Even if you didn't put it on the new car you should have kept it in a keepsake box.
earthangel1967
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Thanks : ) HUGS..... well we have a teeny tiny 495 sq ft apt (on purpose we love it) and it only has 1 walk in closet and 1 double closet so we try to keep as little in storage as possible. What we DID do though, is take a photo of it that we kept. : )  (the pic was out of date too so even if we had kept it if didn't consider it a danger we were going to update it anyway.) 

Quoting shymomof4: Aww you should have kept it. Even if you didn't put it on the new car you should have kept it in a keepsake box.

UCFknight
by Brenda on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

What a sweet plate he made! I would be sad to see it go as well. But the son' ex girlfriend...yikes!! I would be scared of her as well!! You guys are such an amazing couple though. I am sure another cool gift idea will come to mind to replace the plate! ;)

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.. yeah we are both sad to see it go. Knowing him, he will most likely make a soul mates forever one just without our names or faces on it.  Under the circumstances just seems safer. We talked to our adult kids about it and they told us they were already worried about the safety aspect of it as it was. The other scary/sad thing about his ex girlfriend that is stalking all of us, is she is extremely exceptionally intelligent as well as literally very very deeply mentally ill in many diferent ways and violent and to make all that even worse.... she has no self worth at all sadly.... so she would not hesitate to risk her own life to hurt someone else she feels "deserves" it due to her twisted delusions that are very real to her.  Todd and I did talk to the police department and left them some evidence to keep on file, just in case. Our son is keeping evidence of everything he possibly can without letting her know he is doing that, so if anything happens to any of us, whether it's her or not.. I am pretty sure that she iis the first person they will be interrogating. 

Quoting UCFknight:

What a sweet plate he made! I would be sad to see it go as well. But the son' ex girlfriend...yikes!! I would be scared of her as well!! You guys are such an amazing couple though. I am sure another cool gift idea will come to mind to replace the plate! ;)

goatmom4
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

wowo i hear you we r in small town i have a creepy person but thye know his car the sheerif  watches over us    pop, llike  200 the guy isnt allowed in the town but it does make me leary of bumper stickers   and making the car easy to indentifie 

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I'm glad they are watching over you. Be careful! 

We live in a very populated area so easier for a stalker to sneak by unnoticed. 

My son thinks more likely that she just wants us to live in fear and won't actually go thru with anything life threatening.. but with her history I wouldn't put it past it if she did. Either way we are just making sure we take precautions and stay very observant and use prevention as much as we can while still going about our lives. 

Quoting goatmom4:

wowo i hear you we r in small town i have a creepy person but thye know his car the sheerif  watches over us    pop, llike  200 the guy isnt allowed in the town but it does make me leary of bumper stickers   and making the car easy to indentifie 

UCFknight
by Brenda on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness Yvonne! How scary for your family. I know you all are being cautious. You never really know what people are capable of. It's sad that there really is no resolve to this. I hope she gets the treatment she needs. Prayers and good thoughts for your family! Yall stay safe! 

Quoting earthangel1967:

Thanks.. yeah we are both sad to see it go. Knowing him, he will most likely make a soul mates forever one just without our names or faces on it.  Under the circumstances just seems safer. We talked to our adult kids about it and they told us they were already worried about the safety aspect of it as it was. The other scary/sad thing about his ex girlfriend that is stalking all of us, is she is extremely exceptionally intelligent as well as literally very very deeply mentally ill in many diferent ways and violent and to make all that even worse.... she has no self worth at all sadly.... so she would not hesitate to risk her own life to hurt someone else she feels "deserves" it due to her twisted delusions that are very real to her.  Todd and I did talk to the police department and left them some evidence to keep on file, just in case. Our son is keeping evidence of everything he possibly can without letting her know he is doing that, so if anything happens to any of us, whether it's her or not.. I am pretty sure that she iis the first person they will be interrogating. 

Quoting UCFknight:

PogoPalOj
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM

I would have cleaned it up and framed it.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Awww you should have just kept it and had it I would not have let them toss it but I agree on the pic and names nope on my vehicles!

But it was so sweet!

Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

awww.. hugs.

I have a friend in another group who is seriously being stalked. Her daughter's father is the object of the nut-job's affection, and in true stalker style, this nut has stalked the people important to him.. his daughter and his daughter's mother. So.. you do have reason to be careful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)