Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a hilarious story about "mistaken" flirting to share?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM
  • 6 Replies

Men Can't Help But Think We're All Flirting With Them

man staring at co-worker

Remember being in middle school and wanting to hide in your locker because your crush might have caught you gazing at him from afar? And your friends kept assuring you that nah, guys are so oblivious? Well, not exactly, it seems. Our male counterparts are actually hyper-aware of any signs of flirting -- even when we're not flirting with them at all. 

In a recent Norwegian study, researchers interviewed over 300 college students and found that 88 percent of women could think of at least one incident when their friendliness was mistaken by a man for flirting.

(In a similar American experiment, 90 percent of women admitted their friendship had been misinterpreted).

So what gives?

More From The Stir: 5 Flirting Styles: Which One Describes You?

Chalk this "sexual misperception" up to an evolutionary adaptation. Cavemen, after all, needed to be super-aware of any cavewoman who might be willing to get busy. Not so for women. Instead of sleeping with just any lunkhead in a loin cloth, why not save your egg for a Homo erectus who can actually make fire?

With this in mind, careful trying to pull off any of these moves. Men will probably totally think you're flirting with them.

1. "She's totally trying to get my attention."

2. "Oh, yeah. That is definitely a 'Come hither' look."

3. "Man, did you see the way she keeps looking at me? She is into me!"

4. "She's not even trying to hide it!"

5. "This is on!" 

Do you have a hilarious story about "mistaken" flirting to share?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
M4LG5
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM

I was hanging out with a bunch of friends and I met this one girl that was a friend of one of my friends.  We were hanging out with everyone and it seemed like we had the same personality.  We would do movie quotes and stuff.  I know it's not "flirting" but I think she took it that way and asked for my number. 

I told her that I was not gay and she got embarrassed. 

Serenity7
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:33 PM

No

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Does this count as flirting?

I was at a club with dh, he was at the bar, I was leaning on his back and the bar owner came up behind me and started grinding into me, which in turn pushed me into dh harder, lol. When I turned to see who it was, he gasped and apologized profusely, haven mistaken me for one of his servers!!! He then bought dh & I and our group of friends a round of drinks - Broken Golf Carts - which I told dh I didn't want to drink b/c then I would be mixing drinks, but he said I should in order to accept the owner's apology. I had some of it, but it was really strong!

After drinking not even half, my stomach rebelled and I spent the rest of the evening in the bathroom!! By the end of the night I was so destroyed, a bouncer (one of dh's friends) came into the bathroom to pick me up off the floor and carried me out over his shoulder!

First and only case of mistaken flirting - thank goodness, as it didn't turn out to be a very good night after that! lol

LadyBast
by Brenda on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Nope..

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 2:49 AM

No. 

View Full Size ImageYVONNE

MomToovey
by Marianne on Feb. 25, 2015 at 4:57 PM

LOL, none for me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)