Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:44 AM
  • 20 Replies

Does anyone here have the Mirena IUD or had it in the past? I'm getting one placed tomorrow and wanted to know thoughts and opinions. In my research the reviews seem mixed but a lot more good then bad.

Thanks in advance!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TommyAbby
by Melissa on May. 7, 2015 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE MINE!!! 

No periods. 

I do get some bloating and chocolate cravings around that time of the month. but no bleeding. 

I am on second one and I would never go back to pill or injection birth control. 

sarahjz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Nope, but hope you get some good info here.

amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:05 AM
I had mine for a year. I got it removed to have baby number 3. Loved it. The first 3 months were a pain with always spotting and bleeding but once my body adjusted I had no more periods by 6 months. I would get it again by I'm on baby number 4 so we are tieing the tubes.

My sister had it and got hers removed cause she hated it. However my sister is one of those people that every little pain is cause by something. She was always bad about changing births controls cause it made her cramp or gain weight or something else. She thinks periods are not suppose to hurt.
chelseakeel38
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM
I love mine, although around your period you have horrible hormone problems (hot flashes night sweats Uncomfortable feeling in abdomen) well I do. my DH has hit it a few times while sex and it hurts and scraped the hell outta him.
It hurts getting placed I was told it wasnt going to. It did. Good luck.
KendallsMommee
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:24 AM
I had mine for 9 miserable months. Hated it. I always felt pregnant with it, from bloating to feeling "kicks". And the lack of a period is just unsettling when feeling pregnancy symptoms...lol. I was taking a pregnancy test every week.

Dh got a vasectomy after I had it removed.

Good luck.
emarin77
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I love my Mirena, I've had it for 7 years now.  I enjoy having no or mild periods.  Every woman is different with what birth control they are on.

ImWhatReally
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Worst thing I could have done!

I had to have mine removed after about 6 months.

I put on tons of weight, swelling, hormonal lunatic, severe depression, I felt homicidal, severe anger issues ... I was hateful. I am not a hateful person in any way.

My husband, children, family and friends were terrified of me. And terribly worried about my mental state.

I finally talked to my gyn and he sughested having it removed IMMEDIATELY! Within days of having it removed I was a totally different person again. I was starting to be sweet, fun, loving, helpful ME again.

Good luck, pay attention to your body and mental state after having this implanted.

I will never do this again, and would suggest no one else does either.
Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM
I had it for about 3 years. I liked it.. didn't have to worry about remembering birth control, no periods. I seemed to have a lot of migraines when I had it which lessened when it was removed.

I had it removed to try for baby #3. It took us over a year to conceive when our first two took only 1 & 2 months.

Im thinking about getting it again, baby #3 is 3 months old.
MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 7, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Good luck!

I looked into it for myself but am turned off by the "no periods" thing. Surprising, I know, but I need that monthly reassurance that I'm not pregnant!
M4LG5
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM

YUP!  I've had it since my twins were born 9 years ago.  I love it too.  Every once in awhile I will spot but that's it.  I do get the bloating and cramps sometimes.  What I usually say is "Aunt Flo decided not to visit but still send her luggage." haha

Quoting TommyAbby:

I LOVE MINE!!! 

No periods. 

I do get some bloating and chocolate cravings around that time of the month. but no bleeding. 

I am on second one and I would never go back to pill or injection birth control. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)