Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What inspires you the most about Sheryl's tribute to her late husband?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

Sheryl Sandberg's Tribute to Her Husband Will Remind You to Cherish Yours

sheryl sandberg dave goldberg

If you were told on your wedding day that your husband would be taken from you only 11 years later, would you still walk down the aisle? Facebook chief operating officer and Lean In author Sheryl Sandberg writes that she would have, as she is grateful for every minute she had with her beloved husband Dave Goldberg. That's just part of the heartbreaking tribute Sandberg posted about her late spouse.

Dave Goldberg passed away on Friday while on a family vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The 47-year-old and Sheryl were a Silicon Valley power couple (he was the CEO of SurveyMonkey most recently) who frequently advocated equal partnership in marriage and parenting.

In the tribute on her Facebook page, Sheryl explained that she met Dave nearly 20 years ago when she first moved to L.A., and he became her "best friend." In time, he also became her husband, when they wed in 2004. She went on to share:

We had 11 truly joyful years of the deepest love, happiest marriage, and truest partnership that I could imagine ... He gave me the experience of being deeply understood, truly supported and completely and utterly loved – and I will carry that with me always. Most importantly, he gave me the two most amazing children in the world.

Dave was my rock. When I got upset, he stayed calm. When I was worried, he said it would be ok. When I wasn’t sure what to do, he figured it out. He was completely dedicated to his children in every way – and their strength these past few days is the best sign I could have that Dave is still here with us in spirit.

Dave and I did not get nearly enough time together. But as heartbroken as I am today, I am equally grateful. Even in these last few days of completely unexpected hell – the darkest and saddest moments of my life – I know how lucky I have been. If the day I walked down that aisle with Dave someone had told me that this would happen – that he would be taken from us all in just 11 years – I would still have walked down that aisle. Because 11 years of being Dave Goldberg’s wife, and 10 years of being a parent with him is perhaps more luck and more happiness than I could have ever imagined. I am grateful for every minute we had.

As we put the love of my life to rest today, we buried only his body. His spirit, his soul, his amazing ability to give is still with it. It lives on in the stories people are sharing of how he touched their lives, in the love that is visible in the eyes of our family and friends, in the spirit and resilience of our children. Things will never be the same – but the world is better for the years my beloved husband lived.

If you found yourself reaching for the tissues, you're not alone. The love this couple shared sounds like something rare, true, perfect really. And you can just feel how devastating this loss is for Sheryl from her eloquent, powerful words.

More from The Stir: Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Wants to See Boys Do More Housework

At the same time, it's incredibly inspiring that she's able to see the silver lining -- that they shared something so beautiful for the time they did, that they were able to become parents to two children together, and that he'll live on in spirit.

Our hearts break for anyone who has lost the love of their life far too soon. But Sheryl proves that even in your darkest hour, you can take heart in the love you built and cherish that.

What inspires you the most about Sheryl's tribute to her late husband?

by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MomToovey
by Marianne on May. 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM
So sorry for her loss. It's not something I'd wish on anyone, and while I do make the effort each day to show my love and appreciation for him, I'll definitely take the time to remind him that I don't take him for granted.
Asriel82
by Member on May. 9, 2015 at 1:57 AM

ugh... I am trying hard not to cry and smile while reading this,

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

It was a very beautiful tribute. It seems that they had a very good, strong, loving and caring friendship and partnership. Mutually supporting and pushing each other to do their best in a highly stressful and competitive industry. And they were good about carving out time for themselves and their kids.

jjchick75
by Member on May. 9, 2015 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I only had 5 months with my first husband before he was killed in an industrial accident and as badly as it hurt there isn't a thing I would do differently. There is a song by Garth Brooks called "The Dance" and it pretty well sums it up.

Beautiful tribute! My heart breaks for her.
LadyBast
by Brenda on May. 10, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I agree with all that has been said sad but happy so beautiful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)