Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else's family do this?

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:30 PM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this
My grandparents called about two hours ago, saying they were an hour and a half away, and that they would call to get directions to my house. This wasn't planned a week ago or so. This is their idea of curtiousy: calling a few hours in advanced and hoping you're home.
I should be glad that they even called. Usually, they just show up unless they don't know where they are going.
Anyone else have this problem?
by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
horcruxnumber8
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Not here. Other family members have open door policy but nobody comes to my house unless it's planned in advance
sarahjz
by Sarah on May. 7, 2015 at 6:26 PM

No.  That would drive me nuts though.  

jmlmomma
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:35 PM

my family and friends are always welcome.

anotherandree
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM
We live 8 states away bc we aren't huge fans of our family. Either side. So that wouldn't fly.
Suckit90
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:45 PM
The only people who need to call me are my mil and my cousin. But those two aren't welcomed at my home so no worries.

But everyone is welcomed at any given time and my mom and grandma are allowed to just walk into my house.

I really don't get this whole "call me 2 hours ahead of time" thing for family.
M4LG5
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Not really.  They do call ahead and it's planned for the msot part but if they do come over with a short notice, they are at the mercy of my schedule. 

M4LG5
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Each family is different.  For us, it's not that they wouldn't be welcomed.  It's more that we are super busy as a family.  Our girls are in sports and we may not even be home so calling ahead of time would be nice just not for us but for them as well.  If we are home during the week, we are focusing on homework and dinner and such.  One time when my sister decided to just come over, my neice (4 years old) wanted to play with my daughters but they had homework and was really distracting them.  It was a bit of inconvenience. 

Quoting Suckit90: The only people who need to call me are my mil and my cousin. But those two aren't welcomed at my home so no worries. But everyone is welcomed at any given time and my mom and grandma are allowed to just walk into my house. I really don't get this whole "call me 2 hours ahead of time" thing for family.

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:55 PM
Not anymore but when we first got married MIL showed up daily unannounced and uninvited. DH made the mistake of giving her a key so she walked in on us making love on the living room floor. At least she started knocking after that. Lol Now she lives states away and gives us at least a couple weeks notice of her anticipated arrival.
UCFknight
by Brenda on May. 7, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Our families live 7-15 hours away from us. There is always preplanning and coordinating of time off work for visits. I can't imagine them just showing up, although it would be a welcome surprise! Just not everyone visit ;)

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:59 PM
My inlaws sometimes pop in randomly on the weekends. It drives me nutty. We are not always "company" ready or feel like having anyone over. We deal though lol.

Weve had a bout of stomach flu flying through everyone in the house. Best way to keep people away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)