Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sexy Summer Skin Challenge Day 2: Baby Your Skin to Keep it Beautiful!

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:00 AM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 2 of the Sexy Summer Skin Challenge!

The pre-summer rush to get soft, sexy skin is a great time to recommit to keeping your skin healthy and beautiful all year 'round. Here are some basic tips for doing just that:

Keep it clean:
There are ZILLIONS of options when it comes to skin cleansers, but there's also just plain water (seriously, that works best for some!). Some people even swear by an oil cleansing method. The first step is to figure out your skin type, and from there, determine what cleansers and other products might work for the skin on your face.
You can also try making your own products. Then it's time to go below the neck.

Exfoliate:
That fancy -- and expensive! -- salt scrub is pretty much as easy as it sounds. So make your own! Salt (or sugar!) scrubs are great because they exfoliate and the oil seals in moisture. Scrub your body, shoulder to toes, once or twice a week, but try something gentler, like baking soda or a finer grain of salt or sugar, for your neck and chest where skin is more sensitive.

Moisturize:
Now that you know your skin type, find a moisturizer that works for you and use it. For day, get one that's labeled as "broad spectrum," has an SPF ("sun protection factor") of at least 15, and contains antioxidants. For night, choose one that with an ingredient such as hyaluronic acid that helps hold moisture in your skin, as well as anti-aging ingredients such as retinol. A separate eye cream that contains caffeine is great for diminishing dark circles and puffiness -- antioxidants and peptides are also good for anti-aging effects around the eyes.

Banish acne:
Unfortunately for some (myself included), this is easier said than done. It seems that fighting acne is a full-time job. For your face, knowing your skin type and keeping it clean is a great start, but certain things like clay masks and pimple spot treatments are also helpful. Body acne can be more difficult because it's often in hard to reach areas. But here are some tips:

• Don't stay in sweaty sports bras or clothing after a workout. Shower right away and use a body wash with 10% benzoyl peroxide; Allure magazine recommends PanOxyl. (I've used it and it works, but if you have very sensitive skin, as I do, use it every few days and rinse it off well.)
  • Use a loofah or gentle scrub brush with a long handle to clean and exfoliate your back.
  • Keep your showers short and cool. This is good advice for everyone as shorter, cooler showers are less drying.
  • Allure also recommends applying a 2 percent salicylic acid product all over and allowing it to dry before rinsing it off, once a week to keep future breakouts at bay.
  • Wear breathable fabrics like cotton and silk over synthetic fabrics that trap sweat more easily.

Relax:
Stress triggers acne and other skin problems in many people. Try these relaxation tecniques.

Eat well:
Eating a well-balanced diet can do wonders for your skin. These foods are particularly great for keeping your skin healthy, clear, and wrinkle-free, and these foods are proven to make your skin glow (really!).

Drink water:
Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and your body healthy. Flavor and fancify it with lemon or cucumber slices!

Stay away from sugar:
Sugar speeds up the aging process and causes wrinkles. Read more about it here. Bonus, cutting out sweets might lead to losing a few lbs!

Exercise:
Exercising is a great stress reducer. Exercise also increases blood flow, which helps bring oxygen and nutrients to the skin and carry waste products away from it.

Stay young:
There are tons of anti-aging products out there, but it seems the most effective ones are retinol, peptides, and antioxidants such as vitamin C and coffeeberry extract. (Read more about these ingredients here and here.) Again, it's important to know your skin type and choose which products works best for you from there. Eating foods that are high in antioxidants like sweet potatoes, salmon, blueberries, etc. also work wonders for keeping your skin young and healthy.

Whew, there's a LOT of info out there on keeping your skin young and healthy! What are your favorite tried-and-true tips? Please share!

sexyOne mom who participates in all 5 days of the challenge will win a $25 gift card!

<< Click here for Day 1's challenge activity!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommykruse1018
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Lots of water and aveeno 😉
notyethome1985
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Plenty of moisturizer
acbbsmama
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I've recently started using coconut oil as a moisturizer. I absolutely love it. I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day.
Bellatrisque
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I struggle with adult acne, and what Ive founds works best for that, keeps my skin soft and young is Mary Kay miracle set. Its expensive but it works and lasts over a year. Its worth it.
othermom
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I drink a lot of water and try to banish acne

pinkcsmtlgy
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Moisturizer
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow lots of info! And I do quite of these. One of my favorites I do right afterI shower I use baby oil gel and rub in my skin while wet, I always pat dry too.
batjmom
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Lots of water and sunscreen
ProudMom8643
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

These are some great tips I will be following. I use the 3-Step system by Clearskin Professionals (sold by Avon). Works well for me. It has a scrub, cleansing pads, a moisturizer and you can also get the acne spot treatment. Everything except the cleansing pads have Salicylic Acid. I use it for my chest also because I tend to break out there too. 

vic270
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I drink lots of water, I exfoliate, I exercise and moisturize.

I have one tried and true nightly beauty regimen and that is using vitamin C oil, mixed with retinol and collegen. I have been using this on my face,neck and chest, since December and I can visually see a difference in my skin. I am now using the same mixture on the back of my hands.

I also love fresh fruits and veggies this time of year, they are so good and refreshing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)