Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you handle your income and expenses?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM
  • 34 Replies

My husband's and my paychecks all are direct deposited into our joint checking account. I take a portion of each one and transfer it into our joint savings account. Then I pay any bills we have either online or by mail (there are still a few that require mailing out here in the boonies, lol). Whenever my husband spends any money for his lunch, gas, etc., he hands me the receipts to deduct via Quicken to help track spending, and I enter all of mine immediately after I get home as well. If he wants to buy something spendier, he asks me if we have about X amount available because he wants to buy Y and if we do then he'll get it. If we don't have X, he'll wait to buy Y. If he hedges and says it's for "stuff" I know it's for me for an anniversary, birthday, or Christmas gift.

His dad says he could never live where the wife has the money on lockdown like that, even though our system is exactly the same as what he and mil had set up when mil was alive, and they were married for 40+ years. ;)

How do you handle your income and expenses?

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:56 PM

when I was married, I handled it all. My now ex dh is an idiot with money.

I handle mine pretty darn well, although things are really tight right now and I've taken on more debt than I would like

From what I can tell, SO doesn't handle his very well. He just traded up for a bigger motorcycle, but I think he's paying interest out the wah-zoo on some credit card debt, which is just plain assinine IMO

Raeann11
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:12 PM
He can look online or asks me what we have in the bank if he wants to know. I pay the bills and I am constantly saying we have this much after whatever bills are paid that week.
LadyBast
by Brenda on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:15 PM

I pay all just like you I always have but things are very tight right now so we have cut any expense we can and are trying to pay off credit cards etc... It is not a good time for us and since hubby hurt his back it is even worse.. I am still not working and I do not want retail so it is hard!

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Dh makes the money and I handle it..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

SweetMama823
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:43 PM
Dh doesn't know anything about our bills. He works, his check goes in on Fridays and I figure the bills. He usually knows a few days before it gets deposited so then I figure how much I need. He trusts me enough to take care of that. He'd be screwed if he did it himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:49 PM

We have separate accounts and we both handle our own as we see fit. Each of us have our assigned household bills that we take care of. The only thing we have that is joint is a savings account where we pool money for family activities and larger purchases or repairs for the home. That works for us.

AutymsMommy
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:28 PM

I stay at home; DH works and he also handles all of the finances. I'm kept in the loop about the budget via a shared google doc. He pays the bills and transfers to savings (almost entirely online). The main account is a joint checking account; I have a debit card attached, as does he. I take a certain amount of money out for "pocket money" in cash; he transfers the same amount of "pocket money" for himself to a separate account he has (he prefers dealing in plastic over cash). 

I usually take out grocery money in cash as well. I just handle cash better. If I need something over a certain amount, and want to use my debit card for it, I just check with him first. The exception is things like doctor's appointments, which I almost always just slide the debit card for.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JDsWifey
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:32 PM

My checks are deposited on one account and his are deposited in another account. We both have cards for each of our accounts. We pay bills from one account and use the other for our non-bill spending (vacations, entertainment, shopping, etc.). We also have savings accounts that get money automatically deposited. Generally speaking, we both just buy whatever we want whenever we want.

Manic_Sinner
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM
My husband makes the money and pays the pills. I don't like keeping track of finances. We have a joint account. We budget, I know the budget and I don't overspend. He's pretty frugal, I'm the spender.
DreamJoyHope_R
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:17 PM
My paycheck always went directly into our savings account. I'm a stay at home mom now.

Dh's has always gone into our checking account. From there, one of us would separate it out, part into savings, part into retirement savings, bills if it was time for that, then the rest would stay in the checking account. That hasn't changed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)