Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You Handle It?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:40 PM
  • 26 Replies

I'm aware this will come off as kind of whiny.

My husband left today for a week-long business trip. It's the first business trip he's taken since this time of the year, 2 years ago, when we were just dating and not living together. In the past, it was easier to deal with because I wasn't seeing him every single day due to us not living in the same house. 

We got married this past April and haven't spent a day apart. So this trip has me just all kind of anxious and whatnot. I don't like sleeping alone, let alone all week.

How do you ladies handle it when your SO goes out of town for any length of time? Do you make plans with your girlfriends or do more things with your kids?

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Curlymom234
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:17 PM

It doesn't sound whiny, but I've been there before.Go do something with your kids that you enjoy. Make something for dinner that you know he won't eat. Rent a movie that he won't watch and have some you time once your kiddos are asleep. That's what I did anyway.

oscar2000
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:23 PM
Make plans with your friends, eat the food you love and watch girl TV.

Enjoy your ME time!
Kaelee1
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM

My husband is out out town for the next six days.  He's a pilot, so I am just used to it.  Is it just for a couple days?  Find something out of the ordinary to do.  For me it's just normal.

MrsKittyZ15
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, it's just until Friday. I have separation anxiety that I battle regularly, so this definitely isn't easy for me to deal with. XH was a truck driver so he was gone all the time, so it's weird that there's so much anxiety around DH leaving for a week.

Quoting Kaelee1:

My husband is out out town for the next six days.  He's a pilot, so I am just used to it.  Is it just for a couple days?  Find something out of the ordinary to do.  For me it's just normal.

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I just continue on with my life as if he were here. I busy with the kids and cleaning and doing shopping/errands and the gym. the only time I notice he's not there is at night when it comes time for dinner and bed. but quite honestly, I really enjoy it. we have been married 13 years now, 12 of those years, he was in the military. so it was very common for him to be gone a lot. coming and going. it was normal for me. he is now out and has a regular civilian job where he doesn't travel. a month ago, his job did send him out of state for a week of training. it was whatever. I took advantage of that time to not have to cook dinner everyday. being able to go to bed early. to be able to stretch out and take up the whole bed. to watch what I wanted on tv after the kids went to bed. honestly, it was pretty awesome and the week went by too fast. thats not to say I didn't miss him and didn't look forward to seeing him again. but I just try and look at the positive side of things. 

MrsKittyZ15
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to sprawling in the bed and the silence. DH snores a lot, LOL.

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

I just continue on with my life as if he were here. I busy with the kids and cleaning and doing shopping/errands and the gym. the only time I notice he's not there is at night when it comes time for dinner and bed. but quite honestly, I really enjoy it. we have been married 13 years now, 12 of those years, he was in the military. so it was very common for him to be gone a lot. coming and going. it was normal for me. he is now out and has a regular civilian job where he doesn't travel. a month ago, his job did send him out of state for a week of training. it was whatever. I took advantage of that time to not have to cook dinner everyday. being able to go to bed early. to be able to stretch out and take up the whole bed. to watch what I wanted on tv after the kids went to bed. honestly, it was pretty awesome and the week went by too fast. thats not to say I didn't miss him and didn't look forward to seeing him again. but I just try and look at the positive side of things. 

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:24 PM
It was so heavenly. I never slept so good lol.

Quoting MrsKittyZ15:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to sprawling in the bed and the silence. DH snores a lot, LOL.

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

MrsKittyZ15
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM
I won't be entirely alone. The cats will sleep with me providing I don't punt them off the bed because they want to sleep so close against you that you can't move lol

Quoting Beautifulmom513: It was so heavenly. I never slept so good lol.

Quoting MrsKittyZ15:

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

MyLittlefoot
by on Oct. 27, 2015 at 12:35 AM

My DH was in the military for 6 years, deployed once, trained for another deployment but thankfully it was canceled.  I know its hard when you get used to spending everyday with someone and then they aren't physically there.  I just tried to do anything to keep myself busy, but also tried to make time to talk to him whenever he was available to talk/im or whatever for of communication.  Another thing I did to pass time was to work on little surprises for him, stuff around the house, or taking some 'photos' for him ;) it made me feel closer to him to do something with him in mind.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 3:27 AM

I enjoy the time alone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)