Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you guys throw successful parties?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM
  • 13 Replies

I don't know what it is, but whenever my husband and I try to throw a party for our friends, or for our son, things just never seem to go that well. We always have plenty of food and drinks and fun stuff to do, or so we think, but we just never have many guests, and people we invite seem very hesitant to agree to come.

Do you throw successful parties? What's your secret?

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToovey
by Marianne on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:55 AM
We didn't when we were living in FL. It didn't help that we lived so far away from everyone weknew, but also the fact that no one seemed to have a similar schedule as us. Working in hospitality means having strange days off for your weekend, and that no one has the same 2 days off in an area. So it was really hard to find dates and times that worked for everyone. The only time we were able to throw a susuccessful party, was my DH's surprise 30th birthday party.

We have since moved from FL, and actually still live father away from most of our friends than we'd like, but it's not that bad. And since we all have actual weekend days off, it's easier to try to coordinate times that work for everyone. It also helps that with a steady schedule, you can make plans early. Unlike when all our friends in FL didn't have their work schedule until 2 weeks out. So now we can plan things a month or so in advance, which increases the chances of people coming as well :)

All the parties we've thrown since the move, we've had at least 50% - if not more - of the guests invited show up.
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM
I don't do much entertaining, but we've had relative success with DD's birthday parties. Pinterest is my go-to when it comes to getting ideas for it and I try to get as much done ahead of time as possible so I don't feel as stressed, but even then, I still have nightmares in the week leading up to the party.
CampHarris
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM
We always do. Our secret is music and booze, lol.

Last year we had an after-Halloween costume party. We had a bounce house for the kids in the backyard and a bartender in the kitchen for the adults. Even our kid parties always turn out awesome - my DDs 8th birthday was better than half of the adult parties I've been to! The pool in the backyard helped that one though!
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I throw party's for my childrens birthday. No one has complained about them. If they have I don't know about it.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:47 PM
We have had adult ones.
Usually they have gone well and mostly people have all turned up.

No idea how it happens to be honest just always have.
Maybe we have friends that lien that sort of stuff (?)
Serenity7
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM

I don't have parties

Mom2Phoenix2011
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM
Yes, we have very successful parties, we however only invite people we enjoy having around, I have found that our dry parties are much more successful, and enjoyable than ones with cocktails.
Sister_Someone
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Hell yeah! Our parties are usually a hit. I honestly couldn't tell you how we do it. Somehow it works out.

earthangel1967
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 1:10 AM

Well, since becoming empty nesters,  sellling our house & moving into  a small apt, on purpose, about 4 yrs. ago, we have not thrown any parties. We've had close family get togethers, but no parties, so can't honestly know how they would turn out now. I guess I just ASSUME they would still turn out well because

All the parties we threw,  when we were still raising the kids in the house, all went extremely well. 

ADULTS: 

When we had parties more for adults, they were usually based on a special occasion, like Xmas, Halloween,  Someone's birthday Wedding, Baptism,Baby Showers, New Year's Eve or such. 1st of all, we only invited our closest friends and family, not people that were only acquaintances or such. People who know us well, know there will be a lot of laughter and good food and silliness and fun and it won't be boring or stuffy, and we just like to spend time together anyway... people we barely know.. may not show up ... so focus your guest list on people you genuinely like the most and that you know enjoy you the most too. A bigger guest list is not always better. It's better to have your favorite people there and spend your energy and money spoiling them instead of having to spread your budget and energy on a big list of guests who only half ass care if at all. At least that's my view. lol  I often enjoyed making foods to fit the theme of my party so they looked and seemed more special. Made sure there was enough seating, made sure to pay attention to each person, so no one felt overlooked or left out. Made sure there was a lot of fun things to do. We rarely had alcohol at our parties, but no one ever seemed to miss it or care.  I bought or often handmade invitations that I Mailed or hand delivered and I made sure to put to rsvp by a certain date EITHER WAY. I made rsvp date to be about 1 to 2 weeks prior to party and if they did not rsvp I CALLED THEM and asked for their reply so I could know how many people to buy and plan for. Of course I was very nice about it, either way if I had to call. No pressure.  I made sure to mention some of the hightlights of the party in the invitations to entice them. lol  I also often personalized the invitations with their names or such. 

KIDS PARTIES; 

I had TONS of kids parties for our 5 kids and their friends when they were growing up. I started with their 1st birthday parties and had any themed party each child asked for, each year. I spent a couple of months on each one, making decorations, making up games, party bags, prizes, invitaitons, decorating the cake, sometimes even costumes and props for all the kids that were all theme based. I mentioned some of the hightlights of the party on the invitations. We always invited between 3-10 of the kids BEST friends, we did not invite more even though I went all out on the parties so that I could spend the money spoiling each guest almost like it was their party too. Lots of the kids friends moms said their kids would get extremely excited to be invited to my kids parties, more so than their own birthdays lol. I personalized each guests things and tried to make it a fantasy kids day for them as much as my birthday kid. I did the rsvps to be answered either way at least 2 wks prior to party or I would call to politiely inquire explainiing, it's ok either way, I just need to know how many kids to make bags for and such. I kept the kids busy and entertained with special theme related activities from time they arrived until they left.  I also put in invitations that gifts were not necessary, their presence could be their present. Some still brought gifts. But we didn't focus on the gifts that was a minor part of the party. That way kids who couldn't afford one or something could come anyway.  On kids parties I let the parents know they were welcome to come and stay too, if they preferred OR they could drop off and pick up their kids and I would let them know on invitation what time party started and would end.  That helped bc some parents really did prefer to be there too and some I think were happy for a little free time for themself. lol 

I threw a lot of themed holiday parties for the kids, for major holidays and even ones like april fools day and chinese new year and ground hogs day and things like that. We also had a lot of tea parties for both boys and girls.   

I made sure that even with holiday themed parties they were NOT on the actual holiday, because too may people have plans on such days. We always had them on a Saturday or Saturday night, because the least amount of people have to work then, compared to other days/nights. We also sent invitations about 4 weeks ahead, sometimes 6, to give people time to plan around it if they wanted to come. Often turn outs are better if people are not required to be dressed a certain way such as formal or in costume in case they dont want to bother or don't have anything to wear or can't afford to buy something to wear or dont have time to shop for something to wear. 

What ever party we have for adults or kids, I try to think of as many ways as I can to make each guest feel like a treat for themselves that they came, so they feel catered to and special and spoiled and just be really comfortable and have fun. 

PS. Also it may not have anything to do with you or your parties having anything wrong with them that they get a low turn out.. sometimes if certain invited people hear that some other people who are invited that they don't like, then some people won't go, to avoid those other guests too. 

I hope this helps. 

View Full Size ImageYVONNE

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 4:01 AM
DDs parties always turn out great. I have no idea why really it the kids are asking me afterwards when they can come over and do it again. Lol.

As for adult parties we don't have any. We're pretty much hermits and are more likely to be the ones declining an invitation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)