• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever tried online dating?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM
  • 20 Replies

Trying online dating for the first time? Here's what you need to know

Learn how to navigate the wild world of online dating.

Lauren  Gordon

Lauren Gordon

onlinedating
photo: iStock/BrianAJackson

So you're ready to jump in to the world of online dating. The good news is, you're not alone: according to the Pew Research Center, roughly one-in-five 18 to 24-year olds use mobile dating apps, and roughly 27% use online dating tools to meet people. What's more, a full 5% of Americans say they met their spouse online. So hey, the system works.

Now that you know there's virtually no stigma around meeting people on the internet, perhaps you’re ready to dive into the online dating pool yourself. As a first timer, there are a lot of tips and tricks you should master before trying to navigate this new social circle. That's where relationship expert and CEO of Exclusive Matchmaking Susan Trombetti comes in. As a professional celebrity matchmaker, Trombetti has helped tons of singles find the loves of their lives, and can offer a tip or two on how you find yours — not to mention how to have fun and stay safe while you do it.

So pour yourself a glass of wine and get ready to dazzle the web with your wonderful personality — here's how to rock the world of online dating.

Get out your selfie stick out.

photo: Giphy

“Put enough photos online that someone can clearly see what you look like," says Trombetti. "Do not include your children, anybody else’s kids, friends, or animals. People will ask to meet your friend, pass you over when they don’t want kids and it’s your niece, or skip if they are afraid of big dogs. For both sexes [in photos], your face should be clearly visible, as well as some that reveal your frame.“

Make your profile as inviting as possible.

Dating should be fun — and your profile should reflect that. “Make sure you are positive and warm with your written profile," Trombetti says. "I have seen people say stuff like don’t call me if you have drama, or stay away if you aren’t looking for something serious. This is negative.“ And who wants to date someone negative?

When looking at potential partner’s profiles, look out for these common “warning” signs.

This may come as a shock, but sometimes people use misleading photos in their dating profiles. Susan says "Most people are better looking in person — except in online dating photos, or if they're models."

So how to know if photos are accurate? Trombetti gave us some tips. "In general, menwho only wear hats are usually covering their baldness. People who don’t smile have bad teeth a lot of the time. Photos that aren’t close up or where they're always wearing sunglasses are usually because they are hiding something."

Remember to be selective, but not dismissive.

While it's great to know what you want, there's a difference between being knowledgeable and being picky.

“Cast a wide net," Susan advises. "Don’t use those filters to rule out superficial things such as only men over six feet tall. Let as many people in, and then you can sort from there. Don’t let something like an inch dictate character.”  

Take your time getting to know a match before you meet.

“Correspond for a bit, then take it to a phone call, and then a public meeting so you know that you aren’t being catfished or wasting your time," says Susan. "Anyone who doesn’t proceed within a normal timeframe needs to go.”

And before you do meet, take serious safety precautions

Susan is very clear about this: TRUST YOUR GUT. “Make sure everything adds up that they write, discuss on the phone, and say in person," she says. "If it doesn’t add up, trust your gut. Never give anyone your address to pick you up. Do not give anyone money that you meet online. This sounds like it should be common sense, but it isn’t.“ 

When you do meet up, be loose and fancy free. Treating it like an interview is a total turn-off.

Job interviews are nerve-wracking — so don't bring that regimented approach into your dating life. “Don’t tell your date you are online for 2 weeks and then narrowing it down from there to the person you want to be with. This isn’t a job search.”

Keep the conversation informal, too!

When you're on a date, let the conversation flow — leave the written list home. Susan says "Some people actually bring a list of questions on a date and start asking! Where’s the flirting and fun? Once again, not a job interview.” 

Treat your dates like human beings.

Even though it's the Internet, you're still going out with real people. You need to treat each one of them like they're a person — not a number or a level to beat in a game. “Don’t schedule numerous dates one after the other," advises Trombetti. "People just don’t want to feel like there is a revolving door, and they are the next coming through and passing the one leaving.“

Most importantly if you start to struggle, remain patient.

“Realize this is a commitment," says Susan. "You need to have time for the process." After all, good things come to those who wait!

Have you ever tried online dating?

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juniors.mommy
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM
Yes. That's how I met dh
Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for posting

MomToovey
by Marianne on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM

No, I've never tried online dating before. Although DH and I have jokingly talked about joining a dating site and seeing if we get matched ;)

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM
Yes DH and I met standing in line and then we started dating. No,not the same thing? 😂😃😁😁 lol
Just kidding, never did.
Ryansmom2004
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM
Yes. I met my husband online in Oct 2000 and got married in October 2001.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM

This is how I met my husband too.  It will be 9 years this August.

beeky
by Alexandra on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Never tried it. I was married before online existed.
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:04 PM
Yes I've tried it before.
printerr
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:26 AM

Met DH at an online dating site.

deborah50
by on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:30 AM
Met mine online 14 yrs ago Thank you match.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)