Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can not pay car insurance so we've been going years without a car

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:48 AM
  • 35 Replies
It's very frustrating to not have a car and want to do many things. Numerous people have offered us cars but my dh always says no because he can't afford the monthly insurance payments. He doesn't want to get pulled over and not have insurance. Dh says he's called around and everywhere he calls they tell him it's between $500 to $700 a month! $700 is what we pay for rent every month. I work and so does he so we are making just enough to get by. I asked him how is it that everyone else in the world can afford to pay lights gas and rent and drive a car with insurance so easily without having to struggle financially? He said alot of people are secretly driving with no insurance but are just careful not to get pulled over.
by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM
My husband and I have gone with out car insurance here and there and still drive our cars. We just follow the speed and be careful. Since my sister in law got in a car accident a few months back we were like yeah we need it.
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Nov. 19, 2017 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Have YOU called around? I would. Perhaps going through you the insurance may be cheaper. 

iamcafemom83
by Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
That is really responsible of you guys. I know it sucks but I am glad that you arent just drivinf anyways.

Are you sure the 500 or 700 isnt the 6 month premium?
We have 2 cars and pay $100/month with geico. Have you checked online?
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Nov. 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I just checked ours.. for 2 brand new vehicles, it's $130 per month.  Something is very off with what your husband is saying for the monthly premium. 

stepperbepper
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
That's pretty high estimates...we only pay 119 a month with 2 vehicles
MonarchMom22
by Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM

That does seem like a very steep price.  There are so many insurance companies competeing now it is hard to imagine that is the cheapist.  You should do some homework.  If one of you has a bad driving record, perhaps only the other person should get the car and do all the driving.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Where so you live you have to pay that much? Even my DD with a couple tickets and an accident doesn't pay nearly that for her and her dh and they have nice cars.
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM
You must have lots of tickets ? Accidents in the past ? We live in Taxachussetts. We pay less than $300 for 2 cars that are less than 5 years old. One is alease that has to have everything on it.
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Going even further.. We have insurance on our yacht and motorcycle... even adding that to our car insurance payment, it's less than $500.. your husband is lying to you. 

K3412
by Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:58 AM
It sounds like something is wrong. We pay $122 a month for two vehicles. I would call the insurance companies yourself and get the information first hand. Sounds like he either misunderstood or lied.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)