Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my husband to respect my personal things?

Posted by   + Show Post
I keep wrecking my brain trying to figure out is this just happening in my marriage? My husband does not respect my things and if I ask him not to touch my personal items he will just do it anyway. On Thanksgiving my sister gave me a slice of Cheesecake to eat I took it home to eat later because I was so full. I asked my husband not to touch it and the next day I looked in the fridge & it was gone!! I asked him what happened to the Cheesecake and he said he got a sweet tooth in the middle of the night and ate it. He's done this for over a year he will use something that belongs to me and after I ask him not to it will end up broke and he will just shrug it off like it's not a big deal. If I have my favorite ice cream in the freezer to eat I will tell him do not eat this ice cream, he will say okay and the next day it will be gone. He's broken so much stuff that belonged to me that I've lost count. It feels as if I'm living with a pesky little brother rather than a husband.
by on Nov. 30, 2017 at 3:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
SweetPea2004
by Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 6:55 AM
No, you respect each other’s belongings being married does not give you free reign to break stuff. Sure some things I let go like drinking half of my fancy chocolate milk, eating all of something that was bought just for me is rude.

Quoting midjet117: After 13 years of marriage and 3 kids one thing I learned is you share space, you share things. Might as well get used to it.
hotmama404
by on Dec. 2, 2017 at 7:07 AM
My ex used to eat ALL my pregnancy snacks over night then call me from work in the morning and ask me to have his bedside table cleaned before he got home. He would spend a couple hours in the bathroom getting ready and use my beauty products. Once, after a fight, he asked ME to go sleep on the couch. At MY parents house!
Valentina327
by Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM
Starting to see why he's an ex ... What a buffoon!

Quoting hotmama404: My ex used to eat ALL my pregnancy snacks over night then call me from work in the morning and ask me to have his bedside table cleaned before he got home. He would spend a couple hours in the bathroom getting ready and use my beauty products. Once, after a fight, he asked ME to go sleep on the couch. At MY parents house!
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 7:04 PM

For YEARS I was able to hide my treats and food in an old paper bag in the back of the fridge, from my kids and ex, they were too scared to open it or something. I agree your dh is selfish. 

PinkButterfly66
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

He is inconsiderate, disrespectful and selfish.  I would return the favor.  Eat his treats and break his shit.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 1:28 AM
Who gets pissed at cheesecake and ice cream getting eaten. Sounds like a 2 year old whining.
JkBrauer
by Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Haha, yeah husbands can sometimes be that way! I used to have problems with my husband that way too! Then, I learned something! I was being too possessive. My expectation were wahy too high. What is a marriage suppose to be about?  So my husband got into my treats and ate them up, He broke things or miss placed them. Oh well! What is more important, your things or your relationship with your husband? Food can be replaced. Think of the calories he saved you from indulging into.Ooops, something broke, it's not the end of the world and it can probably be replaced if it is really that important. Try something new with him, try sharing your personal things. Like, "Honey, I have some icecream in the freezer, would you like to share it with me while we watch tv?" or "Honey, I have this nice set of glasses, I want to try them out, how about we have a nice dinner with our friends tomorrow night and use them?" ...Try getting him involved rather than shoving him away.

A marriage is about growing more in love and sharing your life with your spouse. It's hard work , but well worth it!

stepperbepper
by New Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:32 PM
That sucks. Thankfully my husband doesn't do that... sounds like he doesn't have any respect for your things.
Katie6586
by Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM

I can't really comment on this because I am guilty of eating my husband's food. LOL

Breaking your stuff is a little odd though. Is he breaking it on purpose or accident?

Maime13
by Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM

This.

Was he this thoughtless and impulsive when you were dating. That's behavior I'd expect, but not tolerate, from a child. 

Quoting mollyk124:   Sounds like your DH is rude and selfish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)