Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Couples counseling.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Has anyone and their DH gone to couples counseling over the years? 

Did it help?  Mind sharing your experience?

by on Feb. 17, 2018 at 6:25 AM
Replies (11-18):
flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 2:44 PM

My husband and I see a marriage counselor and it's going really well! I like her because when we started we did a session for just me and a session for just him until she got to know us each better and then we started doing sessions together and it's been good, we've learned a lot. 

Sassym0m24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM
My mom did with her husband.
While it was going on it helped,once they stopped old patterns resurfaced.

Sometimes people are who they are.
atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM
You both have to be very open to it. I think statistics show by the time a couple goes to counseling the marriage is over anyway. My friend works as a receptionist at a counseling office. She never said specifics but she said most that come divorce.
createive
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 3:04 PM

Tried with my EX.

You have to "really both want to make it work". I mean really.

Example- Like you both need to acknowledge you have XYZ problems, and want to work it out, and want to be together, but don't know how ot resolve the issues on your own. And then after counesling, you have to work at it at home, identify the issue, and bring the tools from your session home, and address it then.

We ddin't do examples like this and yes, we did get divorced. 2 willing people, who want to work hard, for the rest of the relationship. Bring the therapy home with you and you have a chance.

tinysmom160
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2018 at 8:10 PM

Yes we did and it helped a lot

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:35 AM

My boyfriend and I are in counseling now. He thinks it's helping but I don't. It just makes me more frustrating. I don't like the therapist but if I ask to change again, then I'm afraid it's going to start a fight. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

SPARK8910
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband refused to go, so I went to therapy myself. I was not in crisis mode, but anxiety about my marriage was impacting my life. It was refreshing to focus on myself, and the healthiness of that positively impacted my marriage as well. I'd recommend counseling on your own as well as couples.

Sadie1001
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2018 at 4:25 PM

We are doing counseling right now. It has only been a month or so. Both people need to be willing to openly and honestly communicate with each other and with the counselor. It has relieved a little tension between us, but we have a ways to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)