Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work schedule changes- How do we stay connected?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

My husband and I have been married for almost three years. When we first met we worked right across the street from each other and used to go to lunch together at least once a week if not more. Now, he works in a different city, but we live in the middle of where we both work, just in opposite directions.

He really likes his new job and it did have him home earlier than his previous job but the hours are about to change since his job is geared towards warm weather (he sells RVs). They have just made it mandatory for all employees to work weekends whereas before he had to work on Saturday and had every other Sunday off. He now has Tuesdays and Wednesdays off but might have to work at least one of those days to keep up with the demand. I work Monday - Friday. Night time seems to go by so fast when it comes to dinner, baths, getting kids in bed, and then us passing out from exhaustion. 

Any idea on how to stay connected through this? His schedule will pretty much be like this until early October.

by on Mar. 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Katie6586
by on Mar. 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM

My DH used to always have schedule changes and used to work nights so we really only saw eachother on weekends. We always seem to make it work no matter what schedule change happens.

I suggest occasionally taking a vacation day on those Tuesdays or Wednesdays so you guys can have a "day date" or just spend the day together. He also could occasionally take one on the weekend days. Also, plan nights where you will spend quality time, Put the kids to bed a little earlier and watch a movie, etc.

angelheart007
by on Mar. 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM

My husband worked the night shift every now and again and it was hard.  One thing we did was meal prep ahead some, like kids lunches, snacks, he'd grill a bunch of meat ahead for week-night dinners, etc.  Some of the other household chores didn't get as quickly as before, and we all made it out alive ; )  Try to relax a bit and just do what you can ahead of time. Once I let go of some of my own self-impsed "it's gotta be this way" ideas, it became easier.  Funny as it sounds, I bought everyone more underwear and socks, so I didn't run out of those too fast...haahaha.  Everyone pitched in on those long days and just pre-planning what ever I could helped so I didn't have to face that at the end of a long work day.  I'm praying y'all will make it smoothly through the change and become closer in the process.  Good luck & keep us updated!  You can do it...y'all have got this for sure! : )

Fayanne
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2018 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this

yup............. you make being connected a priority. Hire a sitter if you need to. The kids SHOULD NOT be your number one priority. Showing them how to respect and love the person you are married to should be.

Even if you're tired... make the effort. If you were exhausted and your kids needed you for something important, would you tell them "Not tonight, I'm tired" ????

gramabrenda
by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 10:52 AM
Been there, done that, got too tired and pretty much gave up. NOT GOOD!!!!

Woke up and realized we needed help. Scheduled a DATE NIGHT, had a great meal and went out to WATCH THE SUBMARINES (an old expression from our dating days as we sat in the car by the river and ?????) but we talked. We told each other "we loved each other and that our lives together were important". So we brainstormed, together, how to make this happen. We knew we had to make this work IT WAS IMPORTANT. We passed notes as we passed each other like ships in the night. We stole kisses and moments of hand holding. We made sure each other knew that we were working at being together and the moments became precious. We prayed together, Father, make a way for us. We have been married 54 years, had 5 children and have 8 grands. It is worth the effort. So I pray. Father, give this couple what they need to sustain their relationship. Give them good and meaningful rest. Bless their family. Amen. Oh, yes and Father, thank you for this family. Thank you for jobs and all the other provisions You have made.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)