Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Share your Frugalista recipes!

What are some of your favorite frugal recipes?  Please share with the rest of us!!

bakingapron

by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 9:31 AM
Replies (261-270):
aubsmom09
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Crockpot oatmeal:

throw 2 sliced apples, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour 2 cups of oatmeal and 4 cups of water on top. Do NOT stir. Cook overnight for 8 – 9 hours on low.

aubsmom09
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Crockpot refried beans:

INGREDIENTS
2 lbs pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. jarred minced garlic
*Up to 2 1/2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin
10 cups hot water

* You can use as little as 1 Tbsp. It depends on how you like your beans.

DIRECTIONS
Rinse the beans in a colander. Pick out any bad beans.

Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot. Remove any floating beans. Cover, and cook on HIGH for 4 hours and on LOW for 2 hours.

Uncover, and remove extra liquid. Leave enough liquid to reach the desired consistency when the beans are mashed. (We like our beans somewhere between the very-liquidy restaurant style beans, and the canned version of refried beans.)

Mash beans with a potato masher to desired consistency.

Serve warm. Store in air-tight containers in the refrigerator and use within 2 weeks, or freeze in ziplock bags for later use.

aubsmom09
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Turkey and Veggie Meatloaf minis:

1 small onion
1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp. ketchup, divided
1 1/4 lb. raw lean ground turkey
3 cups bagged dry broccoli cole slaw, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a box grater, grate onion into a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup ketchup and all other ingredients. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

Line 9 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups and/or spray with nonstick spray. Evenly distribute turkey-veggie mixture among the muffin cups, and top each with 1 tsp. ketchup.

Bake in the oven until firm with lightly browned edges, 30 - 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

MAKES 9 SERVINGS
lizzieiguana
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Beans Tahini

3 cups organic navy beans, soaked, rinsed, and cooked (probably closer to 6 cups when you're done)

sauerkraut, organic

tahini - organic - stirred properly : )

fermented peppers, organic

peas, organic

spinach, organic

lettuce/greens, organic

apple cider vinegar, organic raw

olive oil, extra virgin cold pressed organic

pepper/sea salt

for each person scoop what they would like into their bowl, toss with greens, add vinegar and oil, salt to taste.

Delicious - and compared to buying this in a kit or pre-made or <gasp> in a restaurant - much, much less expensive.

and to go out for this meal you can't a) find organic food b) if you do it is prohibitively expensive to buy when someone else makes it and c) your body will love you back for every bite.

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

If I buy steaks or pork roast or roasts, I always use it for the next three to four meals

erienne06
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Lemon-teriyaki glazed chicken

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup sugar

3 Tbsp. brown sugar

2 Tbsp. water

3 tsp. garlic, minced

1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken

Combine lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, brown sugar, water, garlic and ginger in a large skillet.  Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stir frequently.  Add chicken and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked though, turn frequently. 

nichelle1994
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM
To day I made spagety lazoniea I think that is how u spell it it is basicly the same for lazonia but with spiggety it is rilly good u should make it and try it I went to school for 2 and a half years for colanery arts

:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emelyn_loves_31
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Chili with lots of vegetables as filler:

3 cans diced tomatoes undrained (usually get it for $1 or less on sale)

2-3 medium zucchini, diced

2-3 medium yellow squash, diced

2-3 green and red peppers, diced

1 onion diced

2 cups chicken broth

2 TB chili seasoning

1 can of black beans

1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey cooked

Combine in a stock pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

debi58
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Any left over grilled chicken, chilli, roast beef, add some grated cheese, some canned pinto or black beans, roll up in a flour tortilla and lightly brown  on a griddle. Serve with rice, beans, salsa and more grated cheese on top.Left over fish works well too. It's like free dinner!

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm hooked on this site for budget-friendly and delicious recipes.  Beth, the lady who does the site, breaks down recipes by price per ingredient, and she has step-by-step photos and directions.  The recipes typically serve at least four, and Beth tests each recipe before posting.  I think I may have posted it here before, but my favorite recipe on the site is the black bean quesadillas (10 servings for under $7).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)