Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Floor Cleaners

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM
  • 14 Replies

Homemade Floor Cleaner 

1 cup white vinegar

1 gallon warm water 

Mix in your cleaning bucket and use this to clean vinyl type floors. 

Wood Floor Cleaner 

½ cup vinegar

1 gallon water 

The most important thing to keep in mind while cleaning wood floors is that they can not get overly wet.  When you use the above mixture, dip your sponge mop into the solution and squeeze until almost dry.  Then mop.  Never put the cleaner directly on the floor. Dry any streaked or wet area with a clean towel as you go along the floor. 

by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM

These are great mixes, they work, and don't worry--the vinegar smell won't linger.

CarolinaMom2006
by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Do you have one for a carpet stain remover..??

lovepotato
by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I actually prefer the smell of vinegar over most other cleaners.

Quoting michiganmom116:

These are great mixes, they work, and don't worry--the vinegar smell won't linger.

maggie9582
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I use vinegar to clean most things, and I hate the smell.  I've heard that you can add tea tree oil to help with that and it's supposed to be a disinfectant, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money on it.  I think it's expensive, even if a tiny bottle goes a long way!

purplemoosemom
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM

A small bottle is about $10, but I've had my bottle going on 3 years now.  I add it to EVERYTHING.  Kids shampoo (to keep away lice!), to my floor cleaners, my mulitpurpose cleaner, a water/TToil spray for mold/mildew preventative, etc.  :)  A few drops goes a long ways!

Quoting maggie9582:

I use vinegar to clean most things, and I hate the smell.  I've heard that you can add tea tree oil to help with that and it's supposed to be a disinfectant, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money on it.  I think it's expensive, even if a tiny bottle goes a long way!

Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

i use a wet mop and spray my water/vinegar/couple drops of tea tree oil all purpose cleaner on the floor

bether89
by on Nov. 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I used the vinegar and water floor cleaner on my floors this week.  It works great.

lorililly
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 9:13 AM

does it really work for lice?

Quoting purplemoosemom:

A small bottle is about $10, but I've had my bottle going on 3 years now.  I add it to EVERYTHING.  Kids shampoo (to keep away lice!), to my floor cleaners, my mulitpurpose cleaner, a water/TToil spray for mold/mildew preventative, etc.  :)  A few drops goes a long ways!

Quoting maggie9582:

TheMelissaMoody
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Quoting maggie9582:

True!  I add lavender essential oil to my vinegar mixture in my spray bottles and it smells wonderful!  Just a few drops goes a very long way.

Melissa
http://frugalfinally.blogspot.com/

MrsWeathers
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I love Tea tree oil for lice prevention! I worked Sunday school with a sweet darling little girl who always had lice! and I forgot who was there and let her play with my hair, and bam many many hours later or combing and combing(I have very long very thick adn lots of it hair) I started putting the tea tree oil in my shampoo no more worries, she has been around me alot and no transferring, now If i could just get her mother to see she needs to treat the house. and her daughter sigh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)