Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Homemade Recipes for cleaning products (Links to posts inside)

Posted by   + Show Post
Replies (31-40):
Mom2Jack04
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Chasingtot:

I'd love a recipe for cleaning jewelry. My rings look so hazy right now. Any ideas?

I just use an old toothbrush and baking soda....baking soda is a natural polisher

Mom2Jack04
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Quoting heatherbarr:

I have a couple of guestion about using vinegar as a softener 1. how much do you use? 2. can I still use bleach on my whites or will it have a reaction with the vinegar?

about half a cup.

I wouldn't use bleach AT all.  The point of using the homemade detergent and vinegar as a fabric softner is to save money but to NOT use chemicals.  Bleach is horrible toxic and shouldn't be used in your home ever.

heatherbarr
by on Feb. 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

Quoting heatherbarr:

I have a couple of guestion about using vinegar as a softener 1. how much do you use? 2. can I still use bleach on my whites or will it have a reaction with the vinegar?

about half a cup.

I wouldn't use bleach AT all.  The point of using the homemade detergent and vinegar as a fabric softner is to save money but to NOT use chemicals.  Bleach is horrible toxic and shouldn't be used in your home ever.

Thank you, I actually googled vinegar and bleach and the combo together was not good.

CandyHorse
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I have tried Vinegar, Borax and even Baking Soda to get my whites clean and it doesnt work very well for me. Maybe I need hot water for those to work? So, I returned to Clorox. A few items have began detereorating, turning colors and "fading completely" from Clorox and off brand bleach. I bought a gallon of Vinegar and might reuse a chemical bottle (cleaned first) with some water and clean with that around the home.

Lollybird
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Baby wipes
use Bounty (Big Roll) paper towels.
2 tblsp baby oil
1 tblsp baby shampoo or baby bath soap
2 cups warm water
Rubbermaid #6 container

Cut Big Roll in half with a big knife, then put half of the paper towel roll
in the Rubbermaid container. Mix water, oil and soap in a 2 cup measuring cup.
Pour mixture over paper towels in container. When the towels are saturated, pull
out the cardboard roll in the center and out the first sheet from the center. You can
make wipes for cleaning by taking out the baby oil and adding dish soap. I used
them when my daughter was two and my son was just born. I purchased two rubbermaid
containers so I wouldn't have to refill so often. Best wishes to you and your family.

finallypaws
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM

What great links. Thanks so much for sharing. It is always great to learn new ways to save a dime...It all adds up, that's for sure.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2011 at 9:21 AM

very cool

christi34
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I've been wanting to learn how to make these. Thanks.

Bmat
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I am glad to see this all collected in one post!

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I just made my laundry detergent with ivory soap this time. I am hoping it works just as well.  Fels naptha can be hit or miss with finding it in the store. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)