Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WIC and coupons

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM
  • 31 Replies

I read somewhere on here, i believe, that you can use coupons on WIC.

Can someone explain to me how using coupons on WIC items will help my end amount? Wont the coupons take money off the products that are going to be taken off my total amount anyways? i don't see how it really helps me in the end..?

by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prdmama82
by Member on Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM
If u had a buy 1 get 1 free say like on cereal, you can get an extra box of cereal for free. I dont think a cents off coupon would really help you but it would help in the funding of wic cause that would be more people they could potentially help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Divatude
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Quoting prdmama82:

but it would help in the funding of wic cause that would be more people they could potentially help

So very true! While you aren't saving anything yourself - since the items are received at no cost - you are helping to save on the amount the government is billed for the items.  Doesn't seem like much but if more were to do it, it would definitely add up.

Michelle

divaswithapurpose.blogspot.com

"His Will...His Way...Embrace It"

summerdaile
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM
You know yall are right. its not like I'm going to use those coupons anyways. Its like doing my good deed of the day. :) I'm gonna keep doing it. Thanks for the idea!

Quoting Divatude:

Quoting prdmama82:

but it would help in the funding of wic cause that would be more people they could potentially help

So very true! While you aren't saving anything yourself - since the items are received at no cost - you are helping to save on the amount the government is billed for the items.  Doesn't seem like much but if more were to do it, it would definitely add up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2010 at 3:27 AM
We also get $16 in fresh fruits and veggies here. So I use coupons for that when I can can or bogo on bagged carrots and whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 5:41 AM

You can use them. The benefit is explained above.

You can also use them in conjunction with food stamps. So if you're getting food assistance, you can use them with that too.

momoflilangel
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I knew all of this already about using the coupons & the benefit but had to say that I tried to use a coupon for WIC for the 1st time last year at Walmart & the cashier told me I couldn't. I told her I could b/c they told me I could & she said "Why, you're wasting your coupon b/c you get the stuff free anyways." And she wouldn't accept my coupon!

summerdaile
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM
What a bitch! With all of these complaints about cashiers its making it easier for me to want to call a manager over and not give a shit about the people behind me. I always care ab what other people think but I need to stop!

Quoting momoflilangel:

I knew all of this already about using the coupons & the benefit but had to say that I tried to use a coupon for WIC for the 1st time last year at Walmart & the cashier told me I couldn't. I told her I could b/c they told me I could & she said "Why, you're wasting your coupon b/c you get the stuff free anyways." And she wouldn't accept my coupon!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerdaile
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM
16? I only get 12 for two kids. Boo. Lol. I never thought ab the veggie coupons. I normally only get fresh. I'm gonna keep my eye open for those coupons.
You can buy any brand right? Can you get the frozen steamers? I love those!

Quoting Amy127:

We also get $16 in fresh fruits and veggies here. So I use coupons for that when I can can or bogo on bagged carrots and whatever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cainjes
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Are you on the breastfeeding package for a child under 1? That is the difference between the $12 and $16. And yes, you can buy any brand, but it has to be 100% fruit or veggie, fresh or frozen.

Quoting summerdaile:

16? I only get 12 for two kids. Boo. Lol. I never thought ab the veggie coupons. I normally only get fresh. I'm gonna keep my eye open for those coupons.
You can buy any brand right? Can you get the frozen steamers? I love those!

Quoting Amy127:

MeloBrown
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I just got wic on Tuesday and I read that by using coupons to save *them* money, we are then freeing up their resources to allow more people on WIC.  We personally only benefit if we have a buy one, get one free coupon....and not sure about your state, but here we get a $6 vouchure for fresh fruit/veggies....so if the store I'm shopping at has a coupon on fresh fruits and veggies, I'd be able to get more :)  

Just curious if your WIC allows you to get Soy milk and tofu.  Mine doesn't unless i have a Dr.s note :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)