Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

teach me how to use coupons

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi, I was wondering if any of you couponing moms, can teach me how to use coupons. I dont have ink for my printer & cant afford ink right now so ill only be using coupons from the sunday paper. Would anyone like to teach me?! Thanks in advance.

*~*Megan  *~*

Happily engaged mommy to a precious little man!

in love toddler boy

by on Jan. 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom-1kids-3
by on Jan. 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

You don't have to print coupons to save.  I didn't print any when I started.  This is a great blog to begin with. http://www.couponing101.com/    It takes a lot of reading in the beginning.

I would say start out with 1 or 2 grocery stores & when you get the hang of it add a drug store.  Remember if you don't get the deal this time, they will come back around again.

nei-nei
by on Jan. 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I use local bloggers to help me. I am in the south and I use www.southernsavers.com 

She is great with matching all the local stores with the coupons from the paper and magazines. She uses alot of printables too though.

That is the only way I learned is by watching other people and learn the techniques and coupon policies of grocery stores.There are also coupon tutorials on how to get started.

I get a stock pile of things when they go on sale, so I rarely have to pay full price for the things we use. I have also changed the brands I prefer using to other brands that tend to be cheaper when they are on sale.

I have been couponing for about a year. The money I have saved is amazing. It just takes about an hour preparation for a shopping trip.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Agreed that you don't have to print coupons to make things work, although it does help to save more.

I would check out moneysavingmom.com or dealseekingmom.com - they give scenarios to help you understand how things work.

I started small - just clipping the coupons for the items I already use.  That's change in the bucket right there.  Then grab your store circulars and compare prices, and take your coupons to the specific stores (it helps to have a list of what you're getting and which coupons you're using to stay organized).

Then I got into CVS/Walgreens stuff.  You can learn how to use the store credit (ECBs and such) which are usually advertised.  Like the other day, CVS had a man's razor for $9.98.  There was an offer for a one-time $4.00 credit (after purchase) if you bought it.  Plus, there was a coupon in the newspaper for $4.00 off.  Then Colgate was on sale for $3.99 and I had a $1.00 off coupon, and CVS was offering another $1.00 credit.  So I ended up paying $5.98 (+tax) for the razor and $2.99 for the toothpaste (+tax), but got $5.00 store credit back.  This week they have Palmolive for $.89 cents and I have 2 coupons for $.25 off.  I have to review the circular to see if there is anything else that I might need, but usually I end up getting treats like cookies or popcorn to make it even out, which I end up getting for free. 

When you start getting really comfortable with coupons, I'd print out the store coupon policies (some won't let you use more than one of the same coupon in the same transaction, some won't allow stacking - store coupon + printed coupon from internet or paper), etc) and start looking for ways to get a 2nd or 3rd paper, which really helps you save a nice amount of money.

redsoxmom09
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 2:12 PM

I just fell in love with the couponing to Disney blog. She's awesome! Plus I suggest signing up for the rewards program at every store you shop at that offers one. There usually special sales and coupons you can get. Ask the store manager or look online at the coupon policy to see if a store you shop at will let you stack or double coupons. I know that Target lets you use 1 Target coupon and a manufacturer coupon together, so combine those with a sale and you will be saving tons. Bj's Wholesale club does the same thing as Target.  Combine coupons with the sales each week to get the best deals. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. Good luck!

mommytolucasray
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I teach a class. Several mothers take my class. No pressure. If you are interested Message me. If not that =)

mgnlee6
by on Jan. 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Thank you moms, ill check out the sites. Wish me luck.

*~*Megan  *~*

Happily engaged mommy to a precious little man!

in love toddler boy

aleduus
by on Jan. 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I am learning to coupon so I can't offer any advice on that.  But, if you have a staples in your town sign up for their savings card, take your used ink cartridges in and they will send you a check back for the cartridges.  I took 4 in once and got 2 checks back for $50.  Of course it can only be used at Staples but it was enough that I got my next cartridges free.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)