Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Warehouse Clubs/stores

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM
  • 25 Replies

What do you think of places like Sam's Club or Costco?  Are they REALLY money savers for shoppers?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy127
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM
I used to belong to Sam's Club but when you factor in the gas to get there(an hour drive) and the membership fee, I didn't see a major savings if any at all. And my son broke out to the diapers so that was the last of Sam's for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I was a member of Sam's Club for years simply because it was a benefit of my ex-FIL's company.  But, I found that you really have to be careful when you shop there.  Bigger is NOT always better.  So you can buy a big double-sized box of Cheerios.  But, is it really cheaper per ounce than at your grocery store than your grocery store brand?  Most times, it wasn't.  Same goes for mega-sized chips, etc.

Sometimes there are really decent deals.  But, then, what to do with ALL that food?  Something else to take into consideration.  I'm okay with that.  I have a Foodsaver so I can break my purchases down to storable sizes.  But, I've had friends who've had a blast "saving" and then don't know what to do with it all once they get it home.

The key is to be aware of your local grocery store prices so you can make an educated decision.  And, have the means to break your purchases into storable sizes and space to store them in.

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM

You have to check the unit prices to determine what you're actually paying.  At our Costco, some foods (for example, cereal and waffles) are the exact same price per ounce as the regular price at Walmart.  Others (like Tabasco sauce) are a substantial savings.  It is a good deal when they have BOGO coupons.  That's when I stock up on dishwasher and laundry detergent, Kleenex, etc.

eema.gray
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I have Costco and Sam's close by.  I used Sam's for several years . . . . . not too bad.  But the more organic we've gotten, the less I wanted to shop there.  I saved money, yes, but wasn't necessarily happy with what they stocked.

We've been with Costco for about half a year now.  I LOVE them.  Food wise, they stock the kinds of products I actually want to buy (the store brand organic PB is well priced and super yummy) and I still save money.  Costco also sends out a coupon book every month, Sam's you have to buy a more expensive membership to get coupons.

You need to watch prices though.  Sometimes, the same size is cheaper at a traditional store, you just have to pay attention.  I like buying the produce because I do home preserving.  So the 2 lb box of mushrooms never goes bad because I dehydrate most of them.

scotti
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM

My husband has a card through work.  I don't think the "deals" are that great and find I can usually do better at the grocery store pairing sales with coupons.  However, if you are having a party, I think they are the go-to place.  We usually find ourselves there around Christmas-time.

slyvester
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM

they are on certain items. we get tired of things fast so we split up things with family.

JessWulf84
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I can't ever save enough on products to make up for the membership fee.

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

My friends swear by Costco. I'm getting a card soon.

JOIN ME IN THE BABIES GROUP!

goorob
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM

We have several Sam's club stores within 15 miles, the closes is 7 miles away, just the price of milk alone is saving me $1 a gallon or more then going to the grocery store.  I do break down the price per unit, the stuff I get at Sam's I don't get coupons for, it does come out quite a bit cheaper and even with the membership (it's cheaper because I still get the business price even though I closed my home daycare), I have a chest freezer so I break things up and use my food saver and freeze them.  Worth it to me, if I had to drive an hour, probably not.

nngmommy83
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Somethings are worth it to me especially because Costco provides you with a coupon book

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)