Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM
  • 15 Replies

Our 4 year old laptop died...the battery is dead, it won't hold a charge for  more then about 10 minutes if unplugged, we were fine with this since it never has to be unplugged, we were hoping to get at least another year out of it.  The battery for this laptop is around $100 for a good deal.  We figured if we could get the laptop to last another year we'd go ahead and buy a new laptop next year maybe getting a good black Friday or after Christmas deal.

Today I turned on the computer and the charger won't make a connection, it's not the battery, it's the charger, we've had problems in the past but again, it's an expensive replacement, we've always been able to make it work so it connects, well, those days are over.  It will no longer connect and the computer is now dead.  So to replace the battery and charger assuming we could find a charger at this point (HP has changed the connection point at the computer so we'd have to find the older one, this is why we haven't replaced it yet, hard to find and more expensive), would be around $200, we could find a decent laptop for $300-$400 - we don't do any gaming or high end photo editing so we just need something with wifi and decent memory.

The penny pinching side of me says to look for a good deal on a battery and charger, the more frugal side of me says to just look for a good deal on a laptop that will last longer and save us money in the long run because it will last longer. (the laptop we have was having other problems and it probably won't last more then a year-18 months without having to be worked on which would cost an additional $60-$150)

clockKelly

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I've never had to pay more than $70 for a replacement laptop battery for any of my laptops and I paid $15 for a replacement charger once.  Where are you looking for these things?

goorob
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Dh is looking, I don't even know what the batter looks like honestly....it's kind of like a car to me, I can turn it on and it goes :)

He has been looking at Best Buy, Walmart, Tiger Direct, and some other online places, I think Amazon and I don't know where else...We don't e-bay...screwed too many times with people with 100% ratings and established for over a year.

clockKelly

goorob
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM

The charger was changed when they did a redesign apparently right after we bought the one we have, it's why we got such a good deal, the new model was coming out they wanted the old ones gone, so I need to find an old style, best buy does not carry them anymore, I'd have to find one on craigslist or something...we have been looking for that for a while, because the 3 prong thing you plug into the wall, the round one on the bottom, that came off a long time ago (I think it's the ground), so we have been looking to replace that...

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Look on eBay.  If you want, I can do the search for you if you give me the make & model of your computer.

I used to have an HP.  I'm used to them.

Quoting goorob:

The charger was changed when they did a redesign apparently right after we bought the one we have, it's why we got such a good deal, the new model was coming out they wanted the old ones gone, so I need to find an old style, best buy does not carry them anymore, I'd have to find one on craigslist or something...we have been looking for that for a while, because the 3 prong thing you plug into the wall, the round one on the bottom, that came off a long time ago (I think it's the ground), so we have been looking to replace that...

JakeandEmmasMom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I would get in the phone book and look up comupter repair places.  Not the Geek Squad or any of the big box store places, but like the little mom and pop shops.  They usually have old parts like that -- chargers, speakers, keyboards, etc.  I would call around to places like that and see if they have the part you need.  In my town there is a Habitat for Humanity thrift store, and inside is a mom and pop type computer repair place, and they have boxes and boxes of all different types of chargers.  I would call around to places like that and replace it cheap and try to get another year or so out of it.

Barb10
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Yep,I agree.Id try to get it fixed for as cheap as possible and if you cant do that Id get a new one,look for a sale and get one thats gonna last!!

ChaoticAtBest
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM

tough call. A new laptop would be easier in the future to get replacement parts, yet I agree if I could get by with a less expensive fix I would do that.

Good luck on your choice!

Mom2Jack04
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:10 PM

In a similiar situation, we bought a good laptop.  Instead of an ok $300-$400 model we bought a top of the line from QVC with their flex pay plan! 

ToddlerBrain82
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Your laptop may still have a fair amount of life in it. I'd look for a good deal on the battery and charger. Do you know how to do maintenance on the computer such as defragging the hard drive or cleaning up unused files and programs?

goorob
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:51 PM

We defrag frequently, we clean up unused files and go through and get rid of unused files.  Our memory was only less then 1/2 used.  We had a really really hot running computer, I know laptops run hot but this one was really hot, like if you put it on a wood table it would scortch it hot, you could not put it on your lap.  We did have a friend with a similar computer check it out for us and the cord actually works on his computer, the battery works (still for just less then 10 minutes) but it would power his computer, so it's the computer not taking a charge now, or not making a connection to the power cord, so it's more then just an easy fix.  Looks like we'll be looking for another computer.  

My brother who knows computers is looking for a good computer/deal for me.  We have a best buy card that gives us 0% for up to 18 months, since we already have the card (and we do have the cash for the computer but why part with the $ if we don't have to), we can make $50-$100 payments for a couple months and make buying it easier on our budget...using the card won't hurt our credit and won't cost us any extra in finance charges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)