Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of six! Help!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM
  • 33 Replies
Mom of six with a 475 budget a month for groceries. Need all the help I can get!
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ToddlerBrain82
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Welcome to the group!

laindiamaria007
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM
There are 6 of us total in my family and my food budget is 50-75/week (that is for all 3 meals and snacks). I dont use many coupons, because I don't typically buy things that are offered with coupons. I cook everything from scratch (we don't eat much bread, but we do eat alot of corn tortillas). We limit meat to a couple of times a week and buy what is on sale. during the growing season I pick/buy lots of fresh fruit and veggies and store/can/freeze. We rely heavily on beans, rice, eggs, potatos/squash/carrots/apples/tomatos/lettuce, onions and garlic. I could probably make several hundred different meals with those key ingredients AND they're cheap. I try to buy what is in season or on sale. It can be done, planning is key!
chrissysnow22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:06 AM
Meal planning is important. If you need help with ideas check out supercook.com. You put the ingredients that you have in your kitchen and it will give you tons of recipes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChaoticAtBest
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

welcome to the group, there are some amazing tips and tricks that come through here daily!!

taraniccole
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Thanks! I will be sure to check it out! Thanks to all of you!

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Meal planning is important. If you need help with ideas check out supercook.com. You put the ingredients that you have in your kitchen and it will give you tons of recipes

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marlarrie
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM
I've found that buying the staples first is key....milk, bread(which both can be frozen if you buy a extra)eggs, juice, & cheese. It's good to buy family pkgs. of meat like ground beef or leg quarters that way you can divide them up and it's cheaper per pound that way and consider buying marked down meat(if it's going to "expire" in a few days, just freeze it until you need it). Use coupons on dry goods like oatmeal, cereals and healthy snacks. Check the stores in your area to see if they double or triple their coupons, also. Limit junk food!
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I feed 4 adults, 1 teen boy, and 2 tweens on $250 a month or less, average.

Meal planning is key.  Make a list of everything your family will eat.  Plan to use things you've already got on hand and try to combine them with sales.  If you're up to it, try to price out just how expensive a meal can be.  For example:  lasagna - $2.59 for ground beef, 99¢ for noodles, $1.50 for ricotta cheese (on sale), $1.69 for mozz cheese (on sale), tomatoes 99¢, tomato paste 35¢, garlic bread $1.99 for a total of $10.10. 

Cooking from scratch rather than from convenience foods is key.  I make all of our bread/buns/tortillas/pasta.  For just a little more work, we save a LOT of money.  I'll also recommend using your crock pot if you've got one-- it saves YOU when you've got a busy day and are tempted to turn to convenience foods for dinner.

Do you have an Aldi or Save A Lot within driving distance?  I remember driving for an hour or more once a month to the nearest one to stock up on canned & boxed goods, sometimes even things like margarine or dairy products, then sticking to local stores for perishables. Now we have a Save A Lot that is closer, so it's only a 15 minute drive. 

Do you have room for a garden?  Anything you can grow yourself will save you $$.

Start keeping a price notebook for things that you regularly buy.  You'll probably notice, after a while, that things aren't as cheap at one store as they seem.  You'll be able to see at a glance whether a sale is really a good deal.  Don't forget to include convenience store prices on eggs & milk! 

chrissysnow22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM
Oh btw welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kingkongsmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM

searchthrough every inch of this site and use what works, there are great ideas here even though I still dont do as well with coupons as i'd like either cause its not something I use or I forget the darn coupons,LOL but I plan which store to shop according to sales,.......... Welcome and good hunting.

ry22dance
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Can you make bread from scratch for less than .98cents  a loaf? I keep hearing people say they make there bread from scratch but when we buy it only costs us .98cents for a loaf, so is it really cheaper to make.  Same with pasta.  Is it cheaper than .99cents a pound to make it?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I feed 4 adults, 1 teen boy, and 2 tweens on $250 a month or less, average.

Meal planning is key.  Make a list of everything your family will eat.  Plan to use things you've already got on hand and try to combine them with sales.  If you're up to it, try to price out just how expensive a meal can be.  For example:  lasagna - $2.59 for ground beef, 99¢ for noodles, $1.50 for ricotta cheese (on sale), $1.69 for mozz cheese (on sale), tomatoes 99¢, tomato paste 35¢, garlic bread $1.99 for a total of $10.10. 

Cooking from scratch rather than from convenience foods is key.  I make all of our bread/buns/tortillas/pasta.  For just a little more work, we save a LOT of money.  I'll also recommend using your crock pot if you've got one-- it saves YOU when you've got a busy day and are tempted to turn to convenience foods for dinner.

Do you have an Aldi or Save A Lot within driving distance?  I remember driving for an hour or more once a month to the nearest one to stock up on canned & boxed goods, sometimes even things like margarine or dairy products, then sticking to local stores for perishables. Now we have a Save A Lot that is closer, so it's only a 15 minute drive. 

Do you have room for a garden?  Anything you can grow yourself will save you $$.

Start keeping a price notebook for things that you regularly buy.  You'll probably notice, after a while, that things aren't as cheap at one store as they seem.  You'll be able to see at a glance whether a sale is really a good deal.  Don't forget to include convenience store prices on eggs & milk! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)