Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know your neighbors?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 45 Replies

I LOVE my neighborhood. We live in a small apartment complex (16 units) and I know almost all of them at least on a friendly, chatting in the parking lot basis. One woman and I have become very close friends and talk on the phone daily, and get together several times a week for coffee. Do you know your neighbors? Do you get along?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM

yes i do. the guys upstairs were douches at first and are nicer now. the guy in the basment is nice, he has a beautiful dog.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Unfortunatly, I know some of them.  I come from the country where we didn't really know our neighbors and I liked it that way.  Now, I live in town with neighbors that are way to close.  Our next door neighbor on one side is a mean rotten old lady, on the other side is a kind old man who likes to smoke cigars on his back porch me kids and our dogs love him (which is good) then we have a crazy man that documents when people come and go, a coupld  that screams at their kids alot, and a clingy pamepered chef lady and her dogs that poop in my yard. 

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I have talked to the man on one side of us a couple of times, and seen his wife once when I brought over some cucumbers from our garden (we had like 40 and were giving them to anyone willing to eat them!)  The neighbors on the other side we talk to quite a bit.  Their kids play outside a lot so when we go out we always say hi and if we aren't busy we'll stay out and talk for about 30 min.  I don't know anyone else in our neighborhood.  The neighbor that we talk to has told us about a few other neighbors but that's all I know about anyone else.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Yes. She is a sweet older lady that has ms and heart problems and my kids have been visiting her and her hubby when he was alive ever since we moved here 8 years ago. They visit, talk with her, watch movies with her and help her out in the house. They love her. Closer to her then their own grandma.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 4:57 AM

We live on a great block in a wonderful neighborhood. We have neighbors we have traded childcare and meals with over the years.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:04 AM

My closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.  The next closest are 1/2 mile away. Do I know them?  Absolutely!  I know most of the people in our area, even those that live up to 4 miles away.  We share garden produce, snowblowers, lawn mowers, rides, babysitting, meals, and laughter & tears.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Yes. The house I own now is in the neighborhood where I grew up so I know everyone. Excellent neighbors, good people, no crime, no noise etc. Very nice.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Sadly enough no, except for one.  An older couple that live across the street, they used to "watch" the house for the previous owners when it was on sale.  Then when we bought it a few years ago, they always keep an eye out, and say hello every now and then. 

Right across from our house a crazy family lived there, husband would drink in front of the house and leave the cans and boxes of beer in his yard. They moved out, the house was sold to a hindu man... and it's rented to a family with small children, but I never see the wife/mom, and the hubby/man I see sometimes but never says hello. They like to have lots of parties, and gatherings at their house.  The house right next door was also sold to some lady who likes to party. She's very antisocial, never says hi.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Everyone on our street is so kind and outgoing.  Every year about two weeks before Christmas the women do a christmas cookie exchange.  You make 4 dozen of a cookie and bring the recipe.  Then everyone gets to bring 4 dozen cookies from others home and get the recipe.  And we all bring a $5 gift and play a Christmas Bingo game.  It's fun and this cookie exchange has been a tradition on this street for 59 years!!!!  Some ladies have been there every year!

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM

we know a few of our neighbors. Being out in the country, there is a bit of distance between homes. We get along with some and others we just avoid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)