Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

20+ Crafty Things To Make With Old Jeans

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

20+ Crafty Things To Make With Old Jeans

Jeans usually outlast our use for them since styles and sizes change before they have a chance to wear out but they still have a lot of life left in them. Here are plenty of crafty and clever ways you can re-use the material and make them into something useful (all free tutorials and patterns). Enjoy!

Craft Projects For Old Jeans

Denim Market Tote By craftingagreenworld.com

Denim Market Tote By craftingagreenworld.com

Denim Market Tote: Nice and big, you know this tote is going to last forever! More tote bag patterns found here.

Denim Cut-offs Wine Bag: Lovely bag made with a jean leg bottom and lined with sturdy fabric. Also see this wine bag made from old jeans.

Denim Cut-offs Wine Bag By designspongeonline.com

Denim Cut-offs Wine Bag By designspongeonline.com

Denim Slippers Pattern By guardian.co.uk

Denim Slippers Pattern By guardian.co.uk

Make Slippers From Old Jeans: Includes a free pattern download. See more slipper patterns here.

Easy Denim Tote: Features pretty floral brooches made with strips of denim. Also see this denim eyelet totebag and this blue jean book bag project.

Easy Denim Tote By marthastewart.com

Easy Denim Tote By marthastewart.com

Denim Tool Roll By untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com

Denim Tool Roll By untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com

Denim Tool Roll: Made with the bottom 21″ of two jean legs, canvas and ribbon or twill tape.

Old Jeans Laptop Bag: Make a sturdy bag for your laptop that’s lined with pretty fabric and batting. You’ll find more laptop bag tutorials here.

Old Jeans Laptop Bag By abit-of-art.blogspot.com

Old Jeans Laptop Bag By abit-of-art.blogspot.com

Crafty Bucket By diynetwork.com

Crafty Bucket By diynetwork.com

Crafty Bucket: Make a craft bucket out of jeans, cardboard and some fancy fabric. The bucket is perfect for holding yarn or crafting supplies, and the jean pockets on the interior are great for holding scissors, other sharp tools or small supplies.

Denim Bibs: So lovely and so easy to wash!

Denim Bibs Tutorial By thimblythings.com

Denim Bibs Tutorial By thimblythings.com

Denim Barrettes By untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com

Denim Barrettes By untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com

Denim Barrettes: Perfect way to use up the smaller scraps.

Denim Fray Edge Quilt: Also see this blue jeans quilt tutorial. You’ll find more quilt patterns here.

Denim Fray Edge Quilt By hgtv.com

Denim Fray Edge Quilt By hgtv.com

Denim Scatter Rug By allfreecrafts.com

Denim Scatter Rug By allfreecrafts.com

Denim Scatter Rug: Here’s a denim rug recycled from a variety of thinner denim fabrics, such as those used for shirts or skirts. More crafty rugs here.

Christmas Trees In Denim: Made with scraps of denim, colorful buttons and bits of decorative ribbon.

Christmas Trees In Denim By melissagoodsell.typepad.com

Christmas Trees In Denim By melissagoodsell.typepad.com

Recycled Denim Potholder By myrecycledbags.com

Recycled Denim Potholder By myrecycledbags.com

Recycled Denim Potholder: Made with the back pocket of an old pair of jeans, you know this one’s going to last! More potholder patterns here.

Jeans Apron: Made with a pant leg from an old pair of jeans, bias tape binding and twill tape. You’ll find lots of apron patterns here.

Jeans Apron By mybyrdhouse.blogspot.com

Jeans Apron By mybyrdhouse.blogspot.com

Knitting Needle Case By moonarts.com

Knitting Needle Case By moonarts.com

Knitting Needle Case: Keep your knitting needles organized with this clever roll. Also see this circular needle holder made from an old pair of jeans and you’ll find more projects here for knitting needle rolls.

Reusable Lunch Bags: Super easy project, also see Apple Printed Lunch Sack and more lunch bag patterns here.

Reusable Lunch Bags By makeandtakes.com

Reusable Lunch Bags By makeandtakes.com

Jean Corsage By tearosehome.blogspot.com

Jean Corsage By tearosehome.blogspot.com

Jean Corsage: Pretty fabric flower to embellish outfits, totes, whatever you like!

Booty Bag Tutorial: Made with the “seat” of an old pair of jeans (potential for lots of room depending on the size of the pants!).

Booty Bag Tutorial By thelongestyear.typepad.com

Booty Bag Tutorial By thelongestyear.typepad.com

Small Gadget Tote By instructables.com

Small Gadget Tote By instructables.com

Small Gadget Tote: Make a caddy with three separate pockets to protect delicate expensive gadgets. Add an optional wrist strap and it can double as a minimalist purse.

Old Jeans Wall Hanging: The back pockets make a cute place to stash crafty stuff.

Old Jeans Wall Hanging By fiskarscraft.typepad.com

Old Jeans Wall Hanging By fiskarscraft.typepad.com

You can make a Microwaveable Heat Bag with denim pieces in any size you like. Also check out the Scrap Happy List and the Scrap Happy Update, plenty of projects in there that would be great made up in scraps of denim.

Props to WiseBread’s post 25 Things To Do With Old Jeans that inspired this article as a feature way back in the summer of 2008.

Updated List: January, 2011

{Good to Know}
Remember to use the word "tipnut" when searching online to find the good stuff fast!
See Conquer The Net With Tipnut for more options.

by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PadmeJonez
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

AHHH!  I knew I was saving those old jeans for something!  Making that laptop case first. 

ChaoticAtBest
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM

if you do, would you please share pictures of what it looks like in the end? I would love to see how it turns out!

PadmeJonez
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I'm planning to do a few projects from this list, and of course I'll share the results!  You really hit me hard on the craft ideas last night, lol!  ;) 

Christy619
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM

These are great!

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Those are alll so cute! I was actually thinking of making some skirts out of the old jeans of mine. and quilts for my boys or curtains for their bedroom!

I got an idea from Eclipse for a quilt for the boys out of their favorite shirts. So that's what I'm doing now... keeping their favorite shirts, cutting the fronts off and I'm going to make a quilt out of them for the boys for college.

PadmeJonez
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Those are alll so cute! I was actually thinking of making some skirts out of the old jeans of mine. and quilts for my boys or curtains for their bedroom!

I got an idea from Eclipse for a quilt for the boys out of their favorite shirts. So that's what I'm doing now... keeping their favorite shirts, cutting the fronts off and I'm going to make a quilt out of them for the boys for college.

Could you share a link to the quilt idea?  :)

iluvmypitty
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

these are FABULOUS!!!!!

TommysGreatGirl
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM
Love all of those ideas. I would like to try the quilt.
ToddlerBrain82
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM

When we were in college my husband (boyfriend at the time!) sewed a little handbag for my makeup out of an old pair of jeans. I still use it!

ChaoticAtBest
by on Feb. 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Quoting PadmeJonez:

I'm planning to do a few projects from this list, and of course I'll share the results!  You really hit me hard on the craft ideas last night, lol!  ;) 

woohoo! I wish I had the time to be crafty right now..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN